New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Old Firewire to New Firewire?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pagan11460

pagan11460 is on a distinguished road

I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006 and I've been using it with a 20" monitor that I bought at the same time. This weekend, I got a good deal on a Mac Pro from 2009 and since I can't afford the new Mac Pros that came out this past December, I bought it. I *thought* that I'd be able to use this Mac Pro 4,1 with my 20" monitor. But when I just attempted to hook it up... oh rats. The firewire cable on my monitor isn't shaped correctly to fit into the firewire ports on the Mac Pro 4,1. Is there such a thing as an adapter that can make my old monitor work with my new Mac Pro? Or do I need to get myself a new monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have not seen any adapters but I bet this would work. Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin/6-Pin Cable (2 m/6.6 ft.) - Apple Store (U.S.)
Just because I never seen one doesn't mean Amazon does not sell them. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_58wk63eeh6_b
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan11460 View Post
I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006 and I've been using it with a 20" monitor that I bought at the same time. This weekend, I got a good deal on a Mac Pro from 2009 and since I can't afford the new Mac Pros that came out this past December, I bought it. I *thought* that I'd be able to use this Mac Pro 4,1 with my 20" monitor. But when I just attempted to hook it up... oh rats. The firewire cable on my monitor isn't shaped correctly to fit into the firewire ports on the Mac Pro 4,1. Is there such a thing as an adapter that can make my old monitor work with my new Mac Pro? Or do I need to get myself a new monitor?
What sort of monitor is this that it has a firewire cable on it? Just curious.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

I'm with Nick - sure it is Firewire and not ADC (Apple Direct Connect) with power and USB connections all in the one cable?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch (Aluminum) Specs (Aluminum, M9178LL/A, A1082) @ EveryMac.com

Read closely. Has Firewire ports. If it has Firewire ports there has to be a cable to plug it into the Firewire on the computer.

DVI, Firewire 400 and USB all in one cable.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I used an 800 - 400 cable to attach an iomega external drive to my old 2007 iMac - worked like a dream.

I now have to use it in conjunction with an Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter which sadly isn't as reliable

It was here in Hamburg that the Rutles found themselves far from home, and far from talented.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have a little black "dongle" that is FW800 male on one end and FW400 female on the other and has worked great for years for me. I plug this adapter into my MBP and connect it to my FW400 hub (hey, remember those??)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch (Aluminum) Specs (Aluminum, M9178LL/A, A1082) @ EveryMac.com

Read closely. Has Firewire ports. If it has Firewire ports there has to be a cable to plug it into the Firewire on the computer.

DVI, Firewire 400 and USB all in one cable.
Thanks Dennis.

I was mostly visualizing a hard-wired firewire cable coming off the monitor itself (seemed to be the way OP was describing things). But I'm sure you're right...it's probably a firewire port (a firewire port on the monitor is much different). My 30" Apple Cinema Display has two firewire ports as well.

OP just needs a firewire 400 to 800 cable...or an adapter.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pagan11460

pagan11460 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of your replies. The old Apple monitor has three cords... the usual monitor connection plus a USB cable and a firewire cable. All three plug into the back of the Mac Pro. The Belkin adapter that OSXX recommended looks like it should work. I just need to make sure that I'm not hurting the monitor or the Mac Pro by using an adapter. I would guess that it will be safe but will try to find out from Belkin and/or from Apple before I buy one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The old Apple monitor has three cords... the usual monitor connection plus a USB cable and a firewire cable.
I wanted to mention...that there is such thing as the "usual monitor cable". Apple has used so many different connectors for a computers video port over the years...that nothing is "usual".

Quote:
I just need to make sure that I'm not hurting the monitor or the Mac Pro by using an adapter.
You will definitely not hurt anything. Worst case scenario is things won't work. But converting from firewire 400 to firewire 800 (monitor to computer) via a special cable or adapter is not a big deal at all.

Just out of curiosity...since there have been a bunch of Apple monitors over the years...maybe you could tell us exactly what model Apple monitor you have...so we know what we're dealing with.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

100% Agree with Nick. In no way with that adapter hurt anything and it should work perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Computer choice help for audio applications! | Mac Mail question »