New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac duo2 stuck on gray screen.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tevad1

tevad1 is on a distinguished road

my imac duo 2 stuck on gray screen at boot.will make boot noise. freezes on apple logo.its late 2006 last 3 in sn vux.ihave 3 leds on at boot.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Given the amount of info given…my best guess is a failing hard drive, or a full hard drive.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
tevad1

i switched the hard drive with my old one that was working.no change.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you provide us with a bit more info?

Like when was the last time this computer worked 100%…and what has happened since that time that could have caused the issue?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
tevad1

i think i updated java to 7.did a search couldn,t find any matches. the old drive would not have updated. i tried to reinstall snow leopard off cd.won,t load off cd. could boot loader be screwed?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevad1 View Post
i think i updated java to 7.did a search couldn,t find any matches. the old drive would not have updated. i tried to reinstall snow leopard off cd.won,t load off cd. could boot loader be screwed?
Thanks for that info. Also…are you saying that this computer worked fine recently (one of the questions asked but not answered)?

Since Snow Leopard was mentioned...is Snow Leopard (10.6.x) the OS version that this computer is currently running?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
tevad1

it last worked 2 weeks ago. it is running snow leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevad1 View Post
it last worked 2 weeks ago. it is running snow leopard.
Thanks for the info. So what happened 2 weeks ago that required the attempted Snow Leopard reinstall?

One thing to try is a NVRAM/PRAM reset:

About NVRAM and PRAM

If a PRAM reset doesn't help…then t think what I would do is (to eliminate the problem being a hardware issue)…is use a hard drive that you don't mind reformatting…then do a fresh install of Snow Leopard onto it.

If the iMac still does not work using an operational HD (with ONLY a fresh install of Snow Leopard on it)…then I would suspect some sort of hardware issue beyond the HD itself.

If the computer works fine with this setup…then I would suspect something software related is wrong with the original HD (such as files missing/corrupt).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Successful CPU swapping G5 | PowerMac Quicksilver No Boot »