New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Corrupted preference files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poppi

poppi is on a distinguished road

I have a new problem opening Excel files from a flash drive or e mail attachment. I contacted Microsoft tech support and they quoted me $250 to solve the problem which seemed bizarre. If yo are patient here is a summary of the problem

I am having trouble opening an Excel file. It was created in Excel and copied to a memory stick but the extension is .xlsx.cpcg. The default program to open is Archive Utility (Excel is not an option). When I “open” it in Archive Utility it creates a thumbnail with the extension . xlsx and again the default program to open is Archive Utility (Excel is still not an option).
Here is what the Microsoft tech said:

I have diagnosed your MAC preference files which an individual entity which holds all the settings and associated information for the apps installed in your computer. After the diagnosis it was determined that the Excel preference file system is corrupted completely and it seems like a virus/Malware might have damaged the preference files.
Since, MAC stores every application in an individual entity called application preference the corruption is isolated to Office program for now. If these corrupted are not addressed now then there is a possibility of them migrating to other application preference file as well which can lead to other complications.
To fix the problems with the Excel file not opening and to avoid other application being corrupted, an erroneous Excel preference files has to be isolated and repaired manually along with the removal of the bug which might have caused this corruption in the first place.

At this point she quoted me $250 to fix the problem and when I objected she dropped it to $150. Sounds like a used car salesman.

Questions:

Does this diagnosis have any possibility of being correct?

If true, is there a way for me to fix the problem?

Sorry for the long winded diatribe. Suggestions will be sincerely appreciated

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I am going to assume you're talking about it having a .cpgz extension, since there is no cpcg extension I'm aware of or can find.

We're talking about a problem opening a single (as in one) file?
And other excel files open just fine?
That would almost assuredly be a problem with the file, not a preference file, not Excel, nor anything else on your Mac.

But, you can see this article.
His first option also is that the file is corrupt.
Then lists a couple of things you might try to open the file.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
poppi

poppi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I am going to assume you're talking about it having a .cpgz extension, since there is no cpcg extension I'm aware of or can find.

We're talking about a problem opening a single (as in one) file?
And other excel files open just fine?
That would almost assuredly be a problem with the file, not a preference file, not Excel, nor anything else on your Mac.

But, you can see this article.
His first option also is that the file is corrupt.
Then lists a couple of things you might try to open the file.
tried that and this is what appeared in the terminal screen

unzip /Volumes/POPPI\ FLASH/KAISER\ COMPARISON\ 4.xlsx.cpgz
Archive: /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz may be a plain executable, not an archive
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz or
/Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz.zip, and cannot find /Volumes/POPPI FLASH/KAISER COMPARISON 4.xlsx.cpgz.ZIP, period.
unknown0023121b861f:~ johnhendrie$

It appears to not recognize the file

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You could try opening in in Libre Office (free) and copying all then pasting into a new Excel file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Online Mac Repair service | Hard disk usage »