New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Apple Certified Refurbished

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trulyalvin

trulyalvin is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at a new iMac & was told to look at the refurbished items. I've never thought about buying anything other than new when spending this type of money. I was wondering what others have experienced, when purchasing refurbish from Apple ?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Not a thing wrong with buying a refurb from Apple. Unless you have a problem with saving money.

Personally, I have purchased most of my Macs from Buy & Sell Refurbished & Used Mac Products | mac of all trades
They're usually at least a generation or two behind, but you save even more and still get a decent warranty and excellent service from them.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1. Apple refurbished Macs are mostly like new and come with the same warranty that a new Mac has. You can even purchase Apple Care for them. The difference is the way they're boxed. You don't get the fancy Apple box, instead they're packed in a more plain simple box. But.. you're not buying it for the box!
QUOTE Thanks
trulyalvin

Thank you i really appreciate the help
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Buy, Buy, Buy !!

Best bargains going.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trulyalvin

lol thanks, thats good to hear
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Every Mac I've owned since 2007 has been a refurbuished MAc for the Apple Online Store. I had one lemon which they replaced via free shipping within 48 hours. Highly recommended if you don't need the "latest and greatest".

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Dieter3

Dieter3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB

Have purchased 3 refurb iMacs for my workplace over the past year - PERFECT. It's like, what was refurbed? These all looked 100% new and acted like it. I kind of expected to find scuffs, or little flaws. NOTHING. Not to say you won't find any flaws, but I have not. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb FROM APPLE.
QUOTE Thanks
heiko_s

heiko_s is on a distinguished road

I've bought a Macbook Air and an Airport Extreme from Apple refurb.

- Macbook Air came without working sound (loose cable). I had to drive 45km per direction to get it fixed and again to pick it up three days later. Thanks Apple!

- Airport Extreme was most likely returned by its previous owner because it kept rebooting whenever he moved big files, but that didn't stop them from selling it unchecked via Apple refurb. There is now an Apple Store on my route to work, but I still had to go there twice because they didn't want to replace it with a new AirPort Extreme.

They fixed those lemons no questions asked but I am done with their crap ware.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Bertrand Russell
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

^^

I don't want to minimize that experience - getting anything new and having it not work properly can be extremely frustrating...
I believe that may be the first negative experience I've seen in this forum related to Apple refurbs.

While I've never personally bought an electronics refurb unit of anything - for those considering a refurb - I think the refurbs are still winning by a wide margin on user experience out of the box vs new.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiko_s View Post
I've bought a Macbook Air and an Airport Extreme from Apple refurb.

They fixed those lemons no questions asked but I am done with their crap ware.
Just about nothing in this world is 100%.

- Are ALL Apple refurbs. sold 100% error/problem free...no!
- Are ALL BRAND NEW Apple products sold 100% error/problem free...no!
- Is any product (new or refurbished) from ANY manufacturer going to be a 100% error/problem free...no!

Then why would any sane, logical, intelligent person expect EVERY refurbished or Brand New product sold by Apple to be 100% perfect??

I have literally purchased 100's and 100's of Apple products over the years. If I only had 2 "less than perfect" experiences like you...I certainly wouldn't all of a sudden start calling Apple refurbs. "crapware"!

Apple took care of things correct?? Good deal! Apple has gotten rated #1 in customer service year after year after year. They got to be doing something right!

- Nick

p.s. Is receiving a less than perfect item a pain in the neck...and upsetting...sure. But you really must look at things in the "big picture" and the long term. No manufacturer of any product produces 100% perfect items 100% of the time.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
p.s. Is receiving a less than perfect item a pain in the neck...and upsetting...sure. But you really must look at things in the "big picture" and the long term. No manufacturer of any product produces 100% perfect items 100% of the time.
Even if a manufacturer could produce to a 100% standard (which is unlikely when producing tens of thousands of units a day just to keep up with demand), by the time any product is handled by a shipper to get it to your house or the retail store, who knows what type of damage may have been inflicted - both seen and unseen.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Even if a manufacturer could produce to a 100% standard (which is unlikely when producing tens of thousands of units a day just to keep up with demand), by the time any product is handled by a shipper to get it to your house or the retail store, who knows what type of damage may have been inflicted - both seen and unseen.
Great point Tom...agreed!

@everyone: There are certainly circumstances out of Apple's control that can effect the condition of an item before the buyer receives it. I'm pretty sure Apple almost always requires a customer signature for an item when it is delivered (maybe things are different in Germany). But I'm sure sometimes customers don't sign for items...and the VERY last step of the delivery process (starting in China)...could be where the damage occurs (when a frantically busy delivery person) carelessly tosses or drops a package on the doorstep of someone home...and damage occurs.

We occasionally hear about stories where the delivery/shipping company of a item can certainly physically abuse an item (intentionally or accidentally). There are certainly a lot of steps getting an item from where the item is manufactured (China) to everyones homes all over the world.

- On & off planes.
- On & off delivery vehicles
- On & off very fast moving conveyor belts, sorting tables, etc. at distribution centers/sorting centers.

Accidents happen. Again..nothing is 100%. The important thing is...Apple tales care of the problem. Basically no questions asked, no hassles, no making the customer feel like it was their fault.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I went and bought a 21" 2.9GHz Quad Core Refurbished iMac today, and for a summly price of $1147
It gave me the $ to get a LaCie 4TB Porsche Design P'9233 USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive to go with it.

Refurbed = New = here in 2 days.
Now for a Desk and Chair to go with

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
=E=

=E= is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini late 2012 2.6ghz i7 8gb ram Fusiondrive ; iMac (mid 2010)

In Sweden, where I live. We don't have refurb Macs like in the states, so when I where on a roadtrip across the US I went home with a refurb Mac mini and it was as good as new, and so much cheaper. It even came with more RAM than the standard does. Its just great! Highly recommend it to anyone! I don't see why you shouldn't! And I honestly wish we had the same thing over here.. but nope, we don't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard disk usage | Build to order time from istore? »