New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

RAM issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

piclin

piclin is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody.

I have a 2011 27 inches iMac with 4gb RAM.
My problem is that when I'm editing 1080p videos with Premiere, or just doing previews with After Effects it runs really slow, making it terrible to work with.

I've read that 2011 iMac's RAM memory can be upgraded up to 16gb, and my question is: is it worth it upgrading it? I mean, what worries me is to spend 100-200€ on it and just have a slight improvement for editing.

In that case I'd start to think in selling my iMac, and maybe even get a PC because although there is no programs like Final Cut, I can get better hardware for the same price and still edit on Premiere and After Effects.

What do you guys think?? Thank you for your time
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

My 09 MBP felt like a new machine when I went from 4GB to 8GB of ram so yeah you will notice.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Your 2011 iMac can actually take up to 32 GB of memory. (4 x 8 GB modules) But for the work you're doing, 16 GB should be sufficient. You're not going to find a PC with the same great display as your iMac has. Spend the money on the extra memory and don't look back.
QUOTE Thanks
piclin

Thanks for the replies! I think buying more ram will be the best medium term option
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Also do you have enough contiguous free space on your drive for scratch files. That could slow things down too if you don't.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
piclin

That could be a problem. I just found out about HDD and SSD drives. Do you think changing to a SSD drive could help me more significantly than just upgrading my RAM?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

SSD will always improve the performance of any computer but if you are short on ram for a particular application it will still be the bottleneck.
How big is your current drive and how much free space do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

My suggestion would be to do the following the next time you are going to do some editing:

1. If it has been a while since you booted the machine reboot so that you start clean.
2. Open Activity monitor, click on the memory tab and make note of the numbers at the bottom of the screen (bottom of the tab). Activity Monitor is in the Utilities folder.
3. Go about your work as usual. When you notice the slowdown switch to Activity Monitor and make note of the readings again.
4. Post your results here and we can better advise whether a memory upgrade or SSD swap would be better.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Also seeing as you're doing video edits you might want to look into a defrag app.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

I would go with the RAM upgrade first. This will help with things that are currently running. Adding a SSD will only really speed up loading times on applications. After they are in RAM (if you have enough) then they should run as fast as you RAM/CPU/Mobo Chipset combination will allow. Hence upgrading RAM first. Then later on down the road if you want a boost for programs loading up and a noticeable system responsiveness increase, then a SDD may be in order. However keep in mind you may want to keep you existing HDD for storage and add the SSD for you system and applications drive. Not sure about your mac model, but iMacs are not well known for being user upgradable friendly. However you can google a how to video to see if its right for you.

Cheers,
Joe

Exodist Photography on Youtube
Lightroom, Photoshop video tutorials and more...
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC and other storage drives | How to Get Domain Information using Javascripting »