New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac fan running constantly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheeseandbeans

cheeseandbeans is on a distinguished road

Good morning!

OK I purchased a mid 2011, 21.5, i5, 2.5ghz iMac from ebay the other day that was listed as slightly faulty. As I was looking to buy my first iMac and I had a tight budget I thought I'd give it a go. I work with computers and thought I could have a go at fixing the issues.

So this brings me to the problem, the seller said it was bought as part of an office clearance so not much history behind it and that when it was on one of the fans was noisy.

It's arrived today and true to form one of the fans is noisy. I've spent the past couple of hours researching the issue on the internet. First thing I did was run the online AHT. This brought back an error code of 4MOT/4/40000002:CPU-0. I think this refers to a faulty cpu fan but the noisy fan is coming from the right hand side of the screen?

I then downloaded smcfancontrol. Currently the ODD fan is running at 4300rpm and 46 degrees (I presume this is the noisy fan I hear). The HDD 1099rpm and 46 degrees and the CPU fan 0rpm and 46 degrees?

So I suppose my question is, where do I start to fix this? Why would a faulty cpu fan make the odd fan run at max?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It appears you have several problems with the fans. The error you received indicates a temperature sensor fault which makes sense since that's what controls the fan.

There are three fans in the 2011 21.5" models: Hard drive fan, Optical drive fan, and the CPU fan. If the CPU fan was indeed not running, the iMac would shut down in a very short order. I don't know what's up with that?

The hard drive and temperature sensor cable are proprietary to Apple. In other words, any changing of those components or others can cause the fans to run full RPM which is what you're experiencing. It's probably time to take the machine to an Apple store and let them run diagnostics on it. There's no charge for that provided you take it to an Apple store not an authorized Apple repair service.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I have a storage issue concerning other files | Repairing Permissions »