New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

I have a storage issue concerning other files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

camvox

camvox is on a distinguished road

how do I free up storage on 256 Gb SSD that has over 90Gb of 'other files'? can I find out what these are and then remove them if not needed? I am using iMac i7
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Anything that doesn't fall into one of the categories listed there is part of that other. This includes everything from zip files to swap files (system file related to memory management).

The easiest way to do this would be to download something like DaisyDisk and see where the big directories are.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hard drive storage 'Other' in OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
camvox

camvox is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies. I am new to this forum. Sadly all that was found were some large files on perm pro which tattled about 50Gb I still cannot find what the dreaded "other" files are. Any more advice would be gladly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The best recommendations I have...

Ignore whatever "Other" has and never look at that again.

Forget that you have ever heard or seen the term "Other" files.

As I stated in that link, the term "Other" is a sick twisted joke.

Your issue is not with "Other" files.

How many file types are there - thousands - hundreds of thousands???
The fact that that stupid graph only lists five (5) types of files and puts all the other thousands of files into a single category and doesn't even include all the files in those categories that should be included should give you a clue - "Other" is pointless and less than useless.

Your issue is with the sick twisted joke of using such a representation for everything except 5 types of files.

If you want to know what is taking space on your drive, use one of the applications recommended in my link above.

Do not use those apps and try to come up with the total used for "Other" - because now that you have a real application to show you what and where your data is stored - it is a waste of your time and energy - plus the fact that you no longer remember of ever having heard or seen the term "Other" files.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Misspelled Contact Name | iMac fan running constantly »