Wifi intermittent connectivity

Specs:
    27" iMac, 21.5" iMac, 21.5" iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4s
    Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    I'm assuming your router is upstairs since you stated you're connecting your upstairs iMac by ethernet cable. If it is, the WiFi signal may be too weak or intermittent to the downstairs machines. If you have a dual band router, set it to the lower frequency. If not, you may have to relocate the router or get a signal extender for the downstairs machines.

Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by scottkb2000 View Post
    Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.
    I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
    I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.
    Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave

Specs:
    21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave
    Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
    Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.
    Well, good luck and if you go a week or more, then probably fine - Dave

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    One problem I see out in the field is auto channel does not seem to work for 2.4GHz select channel 1 or 6 or 11 manually which ever will have the best signal to noise and still have good signal strength.
    Another thing that seems to help if you use WPA2 only on encryption (its safer) .

Thread Information