New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wifi intermittent connectivity


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
scottkb2000

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2012
Posts: 2
scottkb2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 21.5" iMac, 21.5" iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4s

scottkb2000 is offline
Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,497
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
I'm assuming your router is upstairs since you stated you're connecting your upstairs iMac by ethernet cable. If it is, the WiFi signal may be too weak or intermittent to the downstairs machines. If you have a dual band router, set it to the lower frequency. If not, you may have to relocate the router or get a signal extender for the downstairs machines.
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 39
PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

PeterC4 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkb2000 View Post
Is it common to have wifi connection problems. It seems like every so often I will not have wifi to my two iMacs downstairs (on wifi), yet the iMac upstairs is receiving a signal (via ethernet connector). This signifies wifi connection problems. I then power off/on the Netgear combined modem/router supplied by Cox Cable and everything is OK. I have changed the router to a different channel than the default and that helped with the wifi dropout but it still occurs periodically.
I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

 
RadDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 20, 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 982
RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

RadDave is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
I get the same thing. My computer is 4 ft from my modem/router and on wireless mode, I have to either power on and off, or disconnect wifi and then reconnect and all is well. Weird, happens infrequently.
Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave
QUOTE Thanks
PeterC4

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 39
PeterC4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram

PeterC4 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Peter - I have a cable modem (Toshiba supplied by Time-Warner) and an AirPort Extreme router - I lose my connection about once a week (to my 'wired' iMac and our wireless devices) - I need to 'power recycle' the modem and all returns to normal. The modem is old and TW will not replace it unless it is basically dead, so each time I do diagnostics w/ them the signal obviously is working. This is a common occurrence for many of us and if by 'infrequent' you mean a couple times a month or so, then just live w/ having to repower the device (kind of clears the cobwebs!). Dave
Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

 
RadDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 20, 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 982
RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

RadDave is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Well, touch wood, hasn't happened in the last 3 days, since I bumped my speed up a notch with my ISP. We'll see. My modem seems fairly new.
Well, good luck and if you go a week or more, then probably fine - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

 
osxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 19, 2008
Location: houston texas
Posts: 4,638
osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

osxx is offline
One problem I see out in the field is auto channel does not seem to work for 2.4GHz select channel 1 or 6 or 11 manually which ever will have the best signal to noise and still have good signal strength.
Another thing that seems to help if you use WPA2 only on encryption (its safer) .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Old iMac - graphics card problem? | Getting corrupt checkerboard like images on my desktop? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Wifi issue... a real stumper Smee Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 04-03-2013 11:38 PM
2nd gen ipod touch - no wifi connectivity TheSundanceKid iPod Hardware and Accessories 1 03-10-2011 11:28 AM
Intermittent Wireless Connectivity Problems enkid0 Apple Desktops 0 09-06-2009 10:56 AM
Powerbook G4 alu crappy wifi connectivity Wman Internet, Networking, and Wireless 3 12-14-2008 09:01 PM
Losing Connectivity With WIFI teqsun Internet, Networking, and Wireless 8 12-13-2007 06:31 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?