New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Problem Booting Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yodi

Yodi is on a distinguished road

When I hit the start button sometimes the system has a hard time getting to my desktop. Sometimes the fan just races loud and sometimes when I walk away for a bit the screen is blank and the fan is running full tilt. What's Up?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What Mac? When was it made? (year) What is your OS version?

Once it does boot up, are there other unusual symptoms?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Got the original discs? If so see if you can boot from the install disc and run Repair Disk from there, or if no joy try Apple Hardware Test on Disc 2. Not good news for a machine ten to twelve years old alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Not good news for a machine ten to twelve years old alas.
I don't see any text in white... ????
What did you conclude that from?
QUOTE Thanks
Yodi

The unit is a G5 and Im running 10.5.8
Age is uncertain and I do not have the disc.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Once it does boot up, are there other unusual symptoms?
What about that?
QUOTE Thanks
Yodi

Once it boots up things run fine. But if I leave the unit running sometimes the monitor is black and the fan is racing. Also it needs to be started twice but not often.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Could be a bad video card but that's hard to pin down unless you have the disks to do the hardware test as Harry indicated, or a spare video card you can try. Anyway, with a machine that old (Harry is correct about approximate age) your best bet is to try to find parts on eBay or maybe from:

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I had similar behavior with my Mac my dual 2 GHZ G5 (giant tower). If you have the 10.5 discs around it might be worth a completely clean install. I was getting kernel panics which I was sure was a hardware issue. The machine ran fine for another year or two after that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Yodi

Were there kernal panics shown on the screen in a message? I am not getting any messages on the screen. I don't have a disc for 10.5 and would like to try a clean install.
Anyone have 10.5 the would like to part with.
David
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You can find Leopard disks on eBay. However, you're going to need the retail version (black color) and that's likely going to set you back around $75 to $100 depending on the scarcity. Plus I don't believe a clean install is going to resolve your problem as it looks more like a hardware fault.
QUOTE Thanks
Yodi

OK, thanks. So far after saving all my document the machine has been running fine all day. I don't think it's a video card issue but could the ram be bad?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Sometimes the fan just races loud and sometimes when I walk away for a bit the screen is blank and the fan is running full tilt. What's Up?
That's not a memory problem. It appears to be video related, but since it's working OK for now you'll just have to keep your eye on it. Let us know if you need more assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
Yodi

Well she fired up today with out any trouble. If I do have problems would a new video card be the only related part to replace? What I mean is the card the only thing in that area that might need replacing.
You guys are great!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's an old machine so there could be other problems with it. Your current symptoms (blacking out and fan running full speed) might be video related and a new card cures it, however, you should be thinking about replacing the G5 with something a lot newer. Don't know about your $ situation, but a new iMac would be a great replacement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Small spider inside screen of my iMac | Desk Top Icons for web links »