Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    I was always able to remove items in my flash drive until today. What could have gone wrong?

  2. #2
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,538
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    I was always able to remove items in my flash drive until today. What could have gone wrong?
    Hi Mira.... - do you believe that anyone can respond to this terse post?

    Please provide more information: 1) What Mac/OS are you using?; 2) What USB flash drive is in question?; 3) What items are you trying to remove?; and 4) What error messages do you receive? Help us first - Dave

  3. #3
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,216
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    I was always able to remove items in my flash drive until today. What could have gone wrong?
    Does your flash drive have a read only switch? Some flash drives have this switch on them and if it's in the read only position, you will not be able to remove or delete items.

  4. #4
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    iMac, 20" OS X 10.8.5

    Flash Drive…Memorex, 2GB. No switches.. just plug in and go!

    I've had this flash drive for several years..no problem.
    I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. Nothing has been the same since!

    I don't receive any message when trying to delete items…they just won't delete.

  5. #5
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,538
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    iMac, 20" OS X 10.8.5

    Flash Drive…Memorex, 2GB. No switches.. just plug in and go!

    I've had this flash drive for several years..no problem.
    I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. Nothing has been the same since!

    I don't receive any message when trying to delete items…they just won't delete.
    Hi again - thanks for the additional information - I have several USB drives and neither have 'read-only' switches (more common w/ SD cards).

    Does your drive mount in Finder and/or is it present in Disk Utility (DU) - if not, have you tried the drive in other USB slots on the same computer and also on another computer? Have you tried other USB drives on the computer in question? Just trying to determine if the drive is defective?

    Now if you see the drive in Finder & DU, can you also see the contents in the Finder window? If so, you might want to check Preferences in DU to see if there are unchecked boxes there that may need to be 'ticked off' (see attached pic of my DU w/ Preferences opened & a Kingston USB drive mounted). Dave
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Deleting Items from Flash Drive
    I unplugged USB cord and then put it back in. Changed the Flash Drive's slot. Tried to delete something in it and it worked!!
    Thank you so much!

  7. #7
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,538
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    I unplugged USB cord and then put it back in. Changed the Flash Drive's slot. Tried to delete something in it and it worked!!
    Thank you so much!
    Well, congrats! Don't know if my advice helped but glad that you were able to use the flash drive - if not already done, you may want to get that data elsewhere as a backup and consider buying another drive (larger ones are pretty cheap now). Dave

    ADDENDUM: I'm sure you already know this but make sure that when you plug in your USB drive(s), that on removal use the 'Eject' option for the drive before removing - if the drive is still actively transferring data and is 'pulled' at the wrong time, then may cause a problem.

  8. #8
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Deleting Item from Flash Drives
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Well, congrats! Don't know if my advice helped but glad that you were able to use the flash drive - if not already done, you may want to get that data elsewhere as a backup and consider buying another drive (larger ones are pretty cheap now). Dave
    I don't understand anything about computers! What I know I had to learn through trial and error and kind people like you.
    I know nothing about "drives."
    All I found is that Macs are way too sensitive for people like me who are curious and have to learn on their own.

  9. #9
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    I don't understand anything about computers! What I know I had to learn through trial and error and kind people like you.
    I know nothing about "drives."
    All I found is that Macs are way too sensitive for people like me who are curious and have to learn on their own.
    I re-read my reply to you and realized that you meant Flash Drives.
    Of course I'm familiar with them.
    I shouldn't read and reply so quickly!

  10. #10
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,538
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    I re-read my reply to you and realized that you meant Flash Drives.
    Of course I'm familiar with them.
    I shouldn't read and reply so quickly!
    No problem at all - just let us known if your are OK now? Dave

  11. #11
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    MiraMar111's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    33
    Specs:
    OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
    Quote Originally Posted by raddave View Post
    no problem at all - just let us known if your are ok now? Dave
    a-ok!

  12. #12
    Deleting Items from Flash Drives
    docx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 30, 2012
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    389
    Specs:
    I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraMar111 View Post
    All I found is that Macs are way too sensitive for people like me who are curious and have to learn on their own.
    If you find OS X difficult then try Windows 8. I used windows 7 and it was great but Windows 8 is a nightmare.
    Keep coming back with any problems and I am sure the kind people on this forum will help you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dock- deleting items
    By Peter_Izn in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  2. deleting items from external HD
    By Goavs18 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 07:02 AM
  3. OS X Lion will not read external hard drives and USB flash drives
    By tompam in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 01:16 AM
  4. Deleting items from an external hd?
    By zeb in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 05:10 AM
  5. Deleting Root Items
    By Pattay in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 11:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •