New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Memory Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bundy

Bundy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.

My iMac currently has two of the four available memory slots filled with 2GB memory in each one. Can I simply add two 4GB memory modules to the empty slots to bring my RAM up to a total of 12GB or do I have to match the existing 2GB modules with two more 2GB modules of memory?

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

Bundy

A humble but excited Mac Novice
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That should be doable. I would get the RAM from OWC as theirs is guaranteed to work with Macs without issue's.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Assuming we are talking about the iMac in your profile...yes.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Bundy

Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.

Thanks dtravis7. I'm in Canada so I don't know if OWC would ship here for little to know extra cost. I'd prefer to find a Canadian company to make life easier. I'll have to do some homework. But good to know I should be able to do that upgrade at least.

QUOTE Thanks
Bundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Assuming we are talking about the iMac in your profile...yes.

- Nick
Yes, that is the iMac I still have with the original 4GB of memory. Would like to give it a boost of speed.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy View Post
Yes, that is the iMac I still have with the original 4GB of memory. Would like to give it a boost of speed.
More ram does not always result in a speed boost. Actually...more ram doesn't exactly makes things faster...it makes things more efficient (which results in more speed). But...this only happens in a computer that is currently suffering from too little ram. And this totally depends on what you do on your computer.

For example...your iMac currently has 4gig of ram. If all you did was e-mail and internet browsing...more ram will probably not make much of a difference. But if you have lots of apps open at once, work with Photoshop and other Adobe apps...then more ram may help.

For more info on this...give this a read (Part #5: The "More Ram = More Speed" Myth section):

Fact or fiction: What does (and doesn't) actually speed up your Mac | Macworld

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Bundy

Thanks pigoo3. I do use Photoshop along with Final Cut Pro and I was hoping some extra ram might give it a bit more zip. It seems to lag quite often with the spinning wheel. It can be quite frustrating at times.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I'm in Canada so I don't know if OWC would ship here for little to know extra cost. I'd prefer to find a Canadian company to make life easier. I'll have to do some homework. But good to know I should be able to do that upgrade at least.
We have folks from all over the world who order from OWC. I definitely know of some folks from the UK, Northern Europe, and Australia who have ordered from OWC. Especially if the price of the ram is much more favorable...then the extra shipping cost is not a big deal.

You could also try Crucial.com...and see how that works for you:

- Crucial.com

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Oops, did not even notice Canada in your profile! Crucial is great Ram also.

With Final Cut and Photoshop I feel the added RAM might help. Both are pretty hungry applications and Photoshop is known to use all the RAM it can get a hold of!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks pigoo3. I do use Photoshop along with Final Cut Pro and I was hoping some extra ram might give it a bit more zip. It seems to lag quite often with the spinning wheel. It can be quite frustrating at times.
More ram should certainly help!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Bundy

Thanks again guys. I know what to look for now I think and I'll try locally before I venture online and deal with shipping costs.

Appreciate the information as always.

Bundy

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The best place to buy memory in Canada is at Canada Ram: LINK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard Compatability | blocked plug-ins »