Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    G4 PowerPC Startup
    Hello,
    I have a start up problem with my mirror front G4 867 Power PC.
    When I start up; after about 20 seconds the fan in the door runs like mad.
    The screen shows the Apple and the revolving Sun/Flower. This goes on for a short while and then the unit shuts down.
    I've replaced the PRAM battery, reset the PRAM and the PMU.

    Any ideas please?

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,849
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Do you still have your original startup - recovery disk that came with your G4? If you do, try starting the machine with that instead. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup sound. It's hard to tell from what's happening but it's possible the hard drive may have died.

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,143
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by desh View Post
    Hello,
    I have a start up problem with my mirror front G4 867 Power PC.
    When I start up; after about 20 seconds the fan in the door runs like mad.
    The screen shows the Apple and the revolving Sun/Flower. This goes on for a short while and then the unit shuts down.
    I've replaced the PRAM battery, reset the PRAM and the PMU.

    Any ideas please?
    Is this a computer you just got (new to you)...or have you owned it for a long time & the problem just started?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Do you still have your original startup - recovery disk that came with your G4? If you do, try starting the machine with that instead. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup sound. It's hard to tell from what's happening but it's possible the hard drive may have died.
    I have software restore 1 to 4 and Install 1 and 2 but no startup disc

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Is this a computer you just got (new to you)...or have you owned it for a long time & the problem just started?

    - Nick
    the latter Nick

    thanks

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Do you still have your original startup - recovery disk that came with your G4? If you do, try starting the machine with that instead. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the startup sound. It's hard to tell from what's happening but it's possible the hard drive may have died.
    I also have Apple hardware test

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,143
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Since this computer is not "new to you"...when was the last time it worked properly?...and between the last time it was working properly & when the fan problem started...were you getting any warning signs of a problem?

    The fan problem is usually due to a hardware issue/hardware failure. Or did you install anything new or different recently (hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc.)?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    22,120
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    If the discs came with the computer, pop in disc one, reboot and hold down 'C' and see if you can enter Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to check the state of the drive. if no joy run Apple Hardware Test. Keep us posted.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Since this computer is not "new to you"...when was the last time it worked properly?...and between the last time it was working properly & when the fan problem started...were you getting any warning signs of a problem?

    The fan problem is usually due to a hardware issue/hardware failure. Or did you install anything new or different recently (hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc.)?

    - Nick
    Well, I had a long period where it wasn't used much , maybe a year.
    I added an extra hard drive inside; a Lacie that I was using as an external initially.
    But it worked fine .
    I had a problem with a Digidesign Mbox that died on me. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

    What if I isolate the hard drives, one at a time?

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,143
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by desh View Post

    What if I isolate the hard drives, one at a time?
    Any troubleshoting ideas you can try the better. And the simpler things can be made (fewer devices internally or externally) the better for narrowing things down.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Since this computer is not "new to you"...when was the last time it worked properly?...and between the last time it was working properly & when the fan problem started...were you getting any warning signs of a problem?

    The fan problem is usually due to a hardware issue/hardware failure. Or did you install anything new or different recently (hard drive, ram, optical drive, etc.)?

    - Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    If the discs came with the computer, pop in disc one, reboot and hold down 'C' and see if you can enter Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to check the state of the drive. if no joy run Apple Hardware Test. Keep us posted.
    I ran the hardware test and got error code post/16/2048DIMMO/J21

    So I removed the memory module and ran the short test (can't do the long one as it shuts down part way through) and everything checks out

    Same thing; fan still runs and shuts down although front light 'pulses'

    I can manage to boot to normal screen for seconds; then it all shuts down.

    Might be an idea to remove things one by one? as I just mentioned to Nick

    thanks

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2010
    Posts
    7
    I ran another short hardware test that said everything was OK.

    The problem still persists so I disconnected each item:

    Graphics card, each memory module and each of the hard drives. I disconnected them from the mother board (ribbon connector) as I haven't sussed out how to remove the carriage that they're in, in order to totally remove them including disconnecting the power.

    I don't know if its relevant but it flashes up a lot on screen 'no signal', then it recovers
    wonder if its the graphics card?

    Apart from kicking it around the garage for half an hour; I'm a bit stumped.

    Thanks

  13. #13

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    22,120
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Sure sounds like the gfx card. Take it out, clean the terminal and re-seat firmly and see if there is any improvement.

    Whilst open it may well pay to replace the AA1/2 PRAM battery as the machine has been sitting around idly.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Clone recognized in Startup Disk but not Startup Manager
    By plumpjack in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 12:46 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2014, 05:33 AM
  3. PowerPC?
    By BCRose in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
  4. PowerPC G5
    By Mistersan in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
  5. and PowerPC?
    By wtdragon5 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •