New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

(ask) mouse not responding

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackyjacky88

jackyjacky88 is on a distinguished road

hi folks

I am currently in need of help with my Apple Mac
Right now the mouse is not responding. When I tried to Force Quit, I was able to quit any applications I was currently opening EXCEPT "FINDER" application.

Right now I can't use this Mac at all as I can't open my browser etc.

I do need help .. urgently .. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
jackyjacky88

i have tried to swap mouse with other unit of MAC and it works..
so in this case, there is some driver need to be upgraded so as to support this "faulty" mouse?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Is it your mouse that isn't responding or Finder (or both)?

You can't really quit Finder. The best you can do without making technical tweaks to the OS is relaunch it. You can push Option-Command-Esc, push up/down to Finder and then press enter to relaunch it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jackyjacky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Is it your mouse that isn't responding or Finder (or both)?

You can't really quit Finder. The best you can do without making technical tweaks to the OS is relaunch it. You can push Option-Command-Esc, push up/down to Finder and then press enter to relaunch it.
hi

it's solved by swapping mouse with other unit of iMac
but for this so-called "faulty" mouse unable to work properly in the last iMac
should I do upgrade of driver or is it incompatibility issue?

for quitting Finder doesn't really matter right now.

The problem I encountered previously was that, whenever I click on my mouse, the window will start expanding/glowing and minimizing.. Additionally, whenever I hover on those menu like File, View, Apple icon (on the top left hand corner of screen), there is NOTHING happened..
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyjacky88 View Post
hi

it's solved by swapping mouse with other unit of iMac
but for this so-called "faulty" mouse unable to work properly in the last iMac
should I do upgrade of driver or is it incompatibility issue?

for quitting Finder doesn't really matter right now.

The problem I encountered previously was that, whenever I click on my mouse, the window will start expanding/glowing and minimizing.. Additionally, whenever I hover on those menu like File, View, Apple icon (on the top left hand corner of screen), there is NOTHING happened..
Hello - first, what type of mouse are you using, e.g. Apple 'Magic Mouse' or other? Second, did this mouse work before on the iMac under question; if so, have you checked the battery level in System Preferences (see attached pic, red arrow)?

Finally, check here Keyboard Shortcuts - there are numerous KB combinations that can control your computer. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magicmbatterytestscr_001-large.jpg (77.9 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jackyjacky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello - first, what type of mouse are you using, e.g. Apple 'Magic Mouse' or other? Second, did this mouse work before on the iMac under question; if so, have you checked the battery level in System Preferences (see attached pic, red arrow)?

Finally, check here Keyboard Shortcuts - there are numerous KB combinations that can control your computer. Dave
this is a wired Apple Mouse..

Before yesterday, everything was fine.. until suddenly last night issue appeared for this iMac
I managed to swap with other mouse and issue solved already..

But funny thing is, the so-called "faulty" mouse can work well on other iMac..
Is there anything I should do, like update driver or stuff, for this case?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Drivers are really something you can manage manually with OS X - everything is baked into the OS. Have you tried different USB ports? It's possible that the one port is broken.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jackyjacky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Drivers are really something you can manage manually with OS X - everything is baked into the OS. Have you tried different USB ports? It's possible that the one port is broken.
I've tried all USB ports for this mouse but nothing different.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
I've tried all USB ports for this mouse but nothing different.
Hi again Jacky.... - well, one of the cheapest devices that you can obtain for a computer is a mouse (I have several 'spares' - both wired & wireless) - why not just buy a new mouse of your choice and 'dump' the other one? A simple suggestion - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
jackyjacky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi again Jacky.... - well, one of the cheapest devices that you can obtain for a computer is a mouse (I have several 'spares' - both wired & wireless) - why not just buy a new mouse of your choice and 'dump' the other one? A simple suggestion - Dave
if that's my device, I will be more than happy to buy new one..
but since this is clients' iMac and they're a bit troublesome for not willing to buy new mouse.. I've got no choice here.. =(
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
if that's my device, I will be more than happy to buy new one..
but since this is clients' iMac and they're a bit troublesome for not willing to buy new mouse.. I've got no choice here.. =(
Sorry Jacky.... - you used the phrase 'my Apple Mac' in your OP, so just assumed this was your computer - and hence my suggestion for a mouse replacement?

In summary (let's call the mouse & Mac in question MouseA & MacA), 1) MouseA does not work on MacA; 2) A different mouse works fine on MacA; and 3) MouseA works fine on a different Mac - correct?

Have you rebooted MacA since the problem occurred? If not, then worth a try; if still an issue (and assuming there are other User Accounts on MacA), you can log out of the account and into another one - might be a user account setting relative to the two devices? Finally, do you have a Time Machine backup on MacA? You could 'restore' to the day that MouseA was working on MacA. Dave

P.S. you might want to also provide some information on the models of your Macs and also the OS X installed on each?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G4 Ram question | Random iMac Restarts - how to track? »