CD/DVD Recordings

CD/DVD Recordings
    I record CD's on my Mac but they will NOT play in my Toshiba DVD player/recorder; DVD's recorded on the Toshiba will not play on computer; CD's recorded on Mac will not play on some other peoples car/home CD players. I have heard this problem with other people experiencing it. Help!!!

CD/DVD Recordings
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    What format are you recording or burning them with? And, are you closing the CD or DVD after it's been burned? An open TOC (table of contents) will cause the disk to refuse to play on anything except the original machine it was recorded on.

Also, recordings made on most home recorders such as your Toshiba are protected by DRM and will refuse to play on a computer. I'm referring to using the Toshiba to copy Movie and Music disks.

CD/DVD Recordings

chsag
    Thanks! Using DVD+R (?) Table of contents not on purchased DVD's. DRM - hum... Do you know of any DRM removal downloads for Mac (cheap as possible) - it really is a COMPATIBILITY ISSUE & Apps store has apps (it seems) for converting to mobile devices, yet I just want to make Mac DVD recordings compatible with Toshiba & vice-versa. Confusion...
    Any tips?

CD/DVD Recordings
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    First, removing DRM from commercially purchased movies and music is against the law here in the US and we can not discuss it in our forums. (See our community rules.)

As for the other recordings (home recordings, etc) you have to close the DVD or CD and write the table of contents or it will not be playable on any other device except the one it was originally recorded on.

CD/DVD Recordings

How do I "close" a DVD
    Thanks chscag: specifically, on DVD's I have purchased

CD/DVD Recordings
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    How old is the Toshiba player? Although I don't think it is an issue for newer players but there was a time when many DVD players wouldn't play discs burned to DVD+R discs even if all other aspects of the dvd were burned correctly.

Assuming that you are burning DVDs that you have a right to burn make sure that you try the following.

1. Try using a DVD-R disc. These should be easy to locate as they are common. Try this first. It's the easiest fix.

2. Make sure the files have been setup/formatted properly. For older players the files can't just be saved as .mp4, .mov, etc. This produces a disc that older set top DVD players cannot play. The files need to be authored to produce a valid DVD structure. The videos here may help.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information