New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Tower CPU Swap? Partially boots!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

68RC040

68RC040 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 1.8/3Gig/9600 XT/Leopard - LCIII, Color Classic, Mac Classic II

Hello all, I've gotten my Dual 1.8 G5 to almost boot into OS X using Dual 2.5GHz Daughter boards, it comes up to the Apple logo then it doesn't go past this point. Im assuming this can work but the OS might be preventing me from continuing the boot process! Any insights on this Mod? Maybe even a OpenFirmware trick? Any reply would be great thank you. So Close.. Ive already done the research and found the Bus speed isnt out of range for the 2.5, and Power supply can handle the upgrade, and the pins match on the board.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm curious. Where did the daughter cards come from (another Powermac G5 or somewhere else)? And where did you install them (in the original cpu sockets or the PCI slots)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

Mac Specs: Dual G5 1.8/3Gig/9600 XT/Leopard - LCIII, Color Classic, Mac Classic II

Hi Nick, they came from a Dual 2.5GHz G5 tower (the whole Daughter Card with heatsinks that connect to the logic board) that the power supply went south, so I installed these CPUs on a G5 Dual 1.8 Machine out from the 2.5, it chimes,light comes on, and Boots to the Apple logo, thats as far as it goes. I am thinking this swap can work with possibly a Firmware trick. it just seems so darn close.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RC040 View Post
Hi Nick, they came from a Dual 2.5GHz G5 tower...
I was kind of thinking that's where they came from.

Since the 2.5ghz dual-cpu Powermac G5 had a liquid cooling system...did you also install the liquid cooling system?

You're probably right...it's probably some sort of firmware issue. I've seen firmware updates...but not whole/complete firmware files. These are probably proprietary to Apple (not freely available to the average user).

Just wanted to add one more thing. I hope you haven't spent too much $$$ doing this. A "genuine" dual cpu 2.5ghz Powermac G5 is probably selling for around $150.

Here's one on e-Bay for $149 (Buy It Now). Seller is also taking "Best Offers".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power-...item25889b9251

- Nick

p.s. I know that you're probably doing this for the "curiosity factor". I'm just mentioning $$$...since I find it important to keep an eye on this. Especially in this case...since you are sort of reinventing the wheel.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

Lol well your right on the curiosity factor part, its just a interesting project if it could be done for minimal money spent. I already have a working tower so buying a whole new one with shipping isnt something I want to do, but i defiantly appreciate your insight on this Nick.
I have all the working parts it seems, but theres something im missing on this Mod. Not to much about this project being done online either I've noticed which makes it ever more temping to accomplish something like this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have all the working parts it seems, but theres something im missing on this Mod. Not to much about this project being done online either I've noticed which makes it ever more temping to accomplish something like this.
The way Apple designs their computers, the way Apple changes things very quickly, and the way Apple keeps certain software/firmware unavailable...deters the "modding" of Apple products. Which is very common in the "Windows World" where parts swapping/interchangeability is very common.

Most Apple "modding" (if you want to call it that)...is usually limited to swapping exact same "good parts" for "bad-parts" in a non-working computer. Even parts sometimes within a "product family" (Powermac G4's, Powermac G5's, Mac Pro's, etc.) are not easily swappable (as you are finding).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

Your right, Ive literally been online all day searching every and anything. BUT This guy claims he swapped out his Dual 2GHz fx revision to 2.5GHz. I do know that my board uses the 970 Series cpu and not the 970fx CPUs. So.. maybe getting a newer revision Logicboard, because the 1.8 uses the same PSU also so that at least is compatible.

Here are his findings from experimenting

MorphZone
QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

Hello all, I installed Dual 2.5GHz CPU's in my Dual 1.8 G5, it actually comes up to the Apple logo, then it doesn't go past this point. Im assuming this can work but the OS might be preventing me from continuing the boot process, that or a Kext or even editing a few lines of the Kernel? Any insights on this? Maybe even a OpenFirmware trick? Ive already done the research and found the Bus speed isnt out of range for the 2.5, and Power supply can handle the upgrade, and the pins match on the board. This seems pretty close!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hello all, I installed Dual 2.5GHz CPU's in my Dual 1.8 G5, it actually comes up to the Apple logo, then it doesn't go past this point.
Threads merged. No need to start a 2nd thread for the exact same topic.

Thanks for understanding,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

No problem Nick sorry, this thing is driving me nuts trying to find a answer lol. it might lay in the BootX loader though im looking into it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
No problem Nick sorry, this thing is driving me nuts trying to find a answer lol.
Understandable. So close...yet so far!

I spent a total of about 20+ hours last weekend figuring out a bad SATA cable problem.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
68RC040

How can one flash a macs Rom threw the terminal in OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well best of luck with flashing. If you are not familiar with Terminal be very, very cautious.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Threads merged...same topic.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac as a monitor? | Refurbs: 2012 Mac mini 2.6GHz i7 vs. 2011 iMac 21.5 2.8GHz i7 »