New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wifi problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdstevo

jdstevo is on a distinguished road

The speed of my wifi upload reduces by a factor of ten when I switch on my Mac. Is this amac problem or one with my internet supply
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

How do you know this? Are you seeing slowdowns on your other machines?

The Mac is a computer like any other so it doesn't have a special effect on your network. If your speed drops drastically, it could very well be something to do with your network connection. Does this issue happen if your Mac is on first and then the other machines join the network?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello and welcome to the forum! You really need to first provide more information: 1) Mac model/year; 2) OS X installed; 3) Your home network setup (modem/router/ISP); and 4) Devices connecting via Wi-Fi.

Also by 'switch' on your Mac, do you mean from a boot or switching to Wi-Fi? How is the Mac getting internet, i.e. cabled or Wi-Fi. Finally, how are you measuring your speed and is the DL speed also lowered? Answers to these questions will help others to respond more effectively - good luck. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
jdstevo

Hi

Thanks for the replies. My Mac is two months old running OS 7. I am checking the spread using an app on my ipad. Download speed is not affected. The up load speed is dropping from 1.1 meg to 0.1 meg. It is the same whether on Wifi or hard wired to the internet. The up load speed is 0. 8 meg when the Mac is on standby. Other devices do not seen to affect it.
Hope this info gives more clues, thanks again for the help

Jdstevo
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstevo View Post
My Mac is two months old running OS 7.
Are you referring to your iPad or Mac here? There's no OS 7 for Mac (at least not one built after the 1990s) but there is a 10.7.

If the upload speed plummets elsewhere, I'm led to believe that your Mac is uploading something. Are you trying to upload or send something large with your Mac?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstevo View Post
Hi

Thanks for the replies. My Mac is two months old running OS 7. I am checking the spread using an app on my ipad. Download speed is not affected. The up load speed is dropping from 1.1 meg to 0.1 meg. It is the same whether on Wifi or hard wired to the internet. The up load speed is 0. 8 meg when the Mac is on standby. Other devices do not seen to affect it.
Hope this info gives more clues, thanks again for the help
Hi again - as Vansmith has stated, you need to provide us w/ the correct OS X on your Mac (go to the Apple, left upper corner - click and choose 'About This Mac' - the OS version is at the top) - you also did not provide enough information on your Mac (you said 'new' but is this a brand new machine or a used one?).

Your statement 'checking the spread' using an app on my iPad' makes no sense at all - first, by 'spread', do you mean speed or something else? And if you're trying to check internet speeds on your Mac, why use an iPad (even on the same Wi-Fi network and in the same location, results will be different - I've tested this on my devices multiple times) - so go to Speedtest Net and run the test on your Mac.

Please provide responses to the other post and provide us some additional and clearer information - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
jdstevo

Hi again

I bought the Mac new Two months ago and updated the operating system to OS X 10.9.1
It was the speed that I ment (spelling slip) I have done the following checks.

With nothing else connected to the wifi system and wired connection to the Mac using speednet.com speeds on the Mac were Upload 0.22 Mps, download 13.92 Mps.

Again with nothing else on the system speed on my ipad with the Mac switched off
Upload 0.97 Mps, download 15.30 Mps

Speed on my ipad with the Mac switched on and logged on with no programs running
Upload 0.18 Mps, download 14.98 Mps

Hope this helps, thanks again

jdstevo
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Hello again & thanks for the clarification - I'm still not sure what you mean by the 'Mac switched off' - i.e. is it attached to an ethernet cable but no Wi-Fi, is it on no cable nor on Wi-Fi, and/or is the Mac turned off completely - don't know?

But I put your numbers into a table (attached) and also added my own Wi-Fi results of my iPad and MBPro (both on wireless from my router in the next room) - my ISP is Time Warner (Road Runner). My speeds are about typical w/ 1/10 the UP number as expected.

However, I can see the difference in your UL speeds which are 5x (and not 10X) for the situation described - BUT, all of your UL speeds are extremely slow - I'd suggest checking w/ your ISP and your plan, i.e. this may not be abnormal - there are so many different options; so, contact your internet provider to get their opinion. Dave

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 9.36.36 PM.png (63.0 KB, 33 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@Dave:

Your speeds are what I would expect to see on a moderate connection. Typically, an ISP provides a download speed that's much faster than upload. His speeds, however, are way out of line. He should be getting around a 1 Mbps upload speed at least.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@Dave:

Your speeds are what I would expect to see on a moderate connection. Typically, an ISP provides a download speed that's much faster than upload. His speeds, however, are way out of line. He should be getting around a 1 Mbps upload speed at least.
Hi Chscag - yep, no surprises w/ my speeds, i.e. pretty much expected w/ my service; but agree that the UL speeds of our OP are really SLOW! Not sure what else to recommend except checking w/ his/her ISP - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Can you log into a new user or the guest user on your Mac and then see if the results are the same please.

If there's an application in your normal user uploading (I'm thinking some form of cloud service, photostream, etc) this won't be loaded in the guest user.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jdstevo

Hi
I am still experiencing this problem with my iMac. And have tried the following.
I have spoken to my internet provider who assures me that the signal to the house is ok and they have no problems on their system.
I have done a full reset on the router, not just a power off, with no improvement.
The situation remains that with the computer switched off (not on standby) I can operate other devices with no problem. Eg contact people on FaceTime or Skype.
With the computer logged on but no programs running the upload on other devices is seriously impared.
Today I will take the computer to a friend's house and try same checks there. That should at least narrow the problem down to the computer or the internet provider.

Any comments on the above would be appreciated

Jdstevo
QUOTE Thanks
jdstevo

Carried out above tests at friend's house with same result. Therefore problem is computer not internet connection. Spoke to apple support and with afurther test they confirmed that it is a hardware problem, probably a faulty internet card. I will be returning the computer to the supply for repair.

Thanks for all your help

Jdstevo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If the machine is only two months old and the airport card has failed or is intermittent, I suspect that Apple will give you a new machine. The airport card on a newer iMac machine is integrated to the mother board I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What an odd problem. I'm glad you have a solution coming your way because I'm not sure anyone here has seen anything like this before.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speech command circle- how to remove? | lost sound »