New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Bluetooth Devices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wardy

Wardy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB 1TB Serial ATA Drive AMD Radeon HD 697

I recently added an Apple Numeic Keypad to my late 2011 iMac. This means there are now four devices connected wirelessly to the iMac, the keyboard, trackpad, mouse and now the numeric keypad.
When I go in to System preferences to check on the state of battery charges in these devices the keyboard, track pad and mouse all appear but the numeric keypad doesn't even though it is obviously connected since it works. Is there a limit to the number of wireless devices that will show up in System Preference? If there isn't how can I 'make' the numeric keypad appear?

Thanks in anticipation.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Does it show that its connected under Bluetooth? Have you looked in some of the other System Preferences? Maybe trackpad? or mouse?

It would help if you posted OS version.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Unusual question however SP may be able to determine only one keyboard. If the numeric is your gig just use it and put the other in a drawer with the batteries removed. For what it is worth after using the trackpad, the MM also went into the drawer along with wired kb and mouse as backups.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Wardy

Mac Specs: 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB 1TB Serial ATA Drive AMD Radeon HD 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Does it show that its connected under Bluetooth? Have you looked in some of the other System Preferences? Maybe trackpad? or mouse?

It would help if you posted OS version.
My apologies I am using OSX 10.9.1.

In answer to your question it states that YourType Wireless Keypad is connected, however does not show the state of the battery for that device while it does for the others.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Not familiar with YourType at all however the Apple Trackpad sure shows battery level with OS X.9.1.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
My apologies I am using OSX 10.9.1.

In answer to your question it states that YourType Wireless Keypad is connected, however does not show the state of the battery for that device while it does for the others.
Are the "Others" all products made by Apple, while the Keypad is not made by Apple? I know when I use my Jabra Bluetooth headphones, it doesn't show the battery state for them. In your original post, I thought you meant it was a Numeric Keypad made by Apple. It would be up to the manufacturer to include that in the software for the Keypad.
QUOTE Thanks
Wardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Are the "Others" all products made by Apple, while the Keypad is not made by Apple? I know when I use my Jabra Bluetooth headphones, it doesn't show the battery state for them. In your original post, I thought you meant it was a Numeric Keypad made by Apple. It would be up to the manufacturer to include that in the software for the Keypad.
All the Bluetooth devices are Apple products. The Track Pad and Numeric Keypad were bought at an Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
All the Bluetooth devices are Apple products. The Track Pad and Numeric Keypad were bought at an Apple store.
I believe this is what you're referring to Belkin YourType Bluetooth Wireless Keypad - Apple Store (U.S.), which is not made by Apple, it's made by Belkin. If you look at the first review at the bottom, you'll notice that was their complaint also.
QUOTE Thanks
Wardy

PS

This is what appears in the System Preferences and Bluetooth respectively:

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 11.38.18 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 11.38.35 am.png

As you can see the Keypad does not appear in the Device list but is there in the Bluetooth list but without a battery indicator.
QUOTE Thanks
Wardy

Thank you ferrar that is indeed the case. In my naivety I thought that because it looked like the other Apple devices and was bought in an Apple store it was in fact Apple. A case of if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it isn't necessarily a duck. I will stop worrying about it now.

I must admit that I haven't experienced the connection problems mentioned in the other review.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Sounds like you are talking about one of our platypus Wardy quacking and looking etc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drag/drop with multiple monitors | Hello to all and Firewire problem »