New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 imac Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deeelind

deeelind is on a distinguished road

I just picked one up without restore discs- I do have G4 macbook restore discs can I use them with this model M6498? I want to use this computer for video only. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

No you can't. The gray disks are model specific.

- Nick

p.s. There is no "G4 MacBook".

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

Would these be the correct ones? New Mac 9 0 4 OS Upgrade CD Set Operating System for iMac G3 G4 PowerMac Server | eBay
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeelind View Post
Would these be the correct ones?
I don't think that you want to install OS 9 (Very Very OLD OS version). I'm thinking that you want to install a version of Mac OS X...either OS 10.3 or 10.4 (these are actually old as well). But not as old as OS 9.

By the way...you do realize that this computer is between 9-12 years old...and in many ways is very out-dated? Depending on what you want to do...it may or may not be capable of doing it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

Thanks Nick, All I want to do is run video and a photo slide show. Do you think it can handle that?
QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

This? Apple OSX Tiger Full Install 10 4 4 10212559 | eBay
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Kind of hard to say...it depends on the complexity of things. The larger the photos and the higher the resolution of the videos...the harder it will be for this computer.

It will probably be ok for the photos...the video part is harder to predict.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

will this be correct? Thanks Apple OSX Tiger Full Install 10 4 4 10212559 | eBay
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
will this be correct? Thanks
Back in post #2 I mentioned that the gray disks are model specific. You want to stay clear of the gray disks completely!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

ok, got it! The hunt for the discs continue. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ok, got it! The hunt for the discs continue. Thanks
It does sort of seem that you are on a bit of a "fishing expedition"

Give this thread a read for a more comprehensive overview of Mac OS install disks:

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

Great info! I've always loved this imac design, thought it would be great to have it at my art studio just to show some of my work. Picked it up for $40, seemed worth the risk...however, getting it to run for a simple task is getting a bit frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Yes...the G4 iMac's were an interesting design (first iMac's with a flat panel display). And $40 bucks was a pretty good price.

Are you pursuing getting this computer working purely for it's "eye candy" / "eye-appeal" for your art studio (photos & videos)...or do you actually want to use it for day to day computing?

As far as the frustration...it's really not that bad. Once you know what to look for...it's mostly easy. Back in post #4 I mentioned that you probably need/want OS 10.3 or 10.4 for the computer. No gray disks. You need the full install retail OS install disks (as you should have seen in that thread I linked).

The only frustration is finding a good price.

- Nick

p.s. Make sure you have enough ram for the OS version you choose.
p.p.s. Also remember that you are working with a 9-12 year-old computer. And finding things is not always easy or cheap.

QUOTE Thanks
deeelind

Yes, just eye candy. I have a 2 level studio, during open house, 75% of visitor don't make it off the 1st landing so I thought I'd place this iconic piece up on the ledge (nice and heavy so it won't push off too easily) so my work could be viewed easily. Figured the operating system would be a cinch- since it old..

You're so right about the price, sheesh! Maybe these? A friend also picked one up, so we can split the $$ Genuine Apple OS x Server 10 4 Installation Pack 56 | eBay

Thanks again for taking the time to help out,
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

This is what your are looking for. Note the full retail install details. The last two models, with USB2, can run Leopard OS X.5 as they have the 1GHz or faster processor.

Apple Mac OS x 10 4 "Tiger" Full Retail Install DVD M9639Z A 10212559 | eBay

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crucial 960GB SSD | Weird Boot Camp Problems »