New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Using 2009 iMac as external monitor to MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikenewport

mikenewport is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I've got a new MacBook Pro, and a 2009 iMac which I use with an external display. The iMac is now substantially slower than the MacBookPro (of course) and I suddenly thought I wonder if I could use the iMac as an external monitor and just work off the MacBookPro, but also keep using my additional external monitor (as it's a lot bigger than my MBP screen)?

So essentially my current setup of an iMac with external monitor would all look the same as it always has, only it would work a lot faster as the MBP will actually be the brains behind it....

Any hints/tips on how to do this or any adaptors etc i'd need to buy would be great...

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Specs are:

27" 2009 iMac 2.8Ghz i7 16GB RAM

15" MacBookPro (2013), 2.7Ghz i7 16GB RAM

Other external monitor: Dell 23" SP2309
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your late 2009 27" iMac does not have a video input port. It has a MiniDisplay Port output only for attaching an external monitor to it. There really isn't a practical way to use your iMac as an external monitor for the MacBook Pro. There is software (Screen Recycler) that supposedly works but the results are poor and you would only be able to use the iMac and not the Dell.
QUOTE Thanks
mikenewport

Thanks for your reply - I found this youtube video: Using 27 Inch iMac As External Monitor Computer - YouTube

It was posted late 2009, so surely must be the same iMac/earlier than mine and he seems to have managed it - can you shed any light on this at all?

Thanks again,
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
mikenewport

Actually this suggests it could work too... Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewport View Post
It was posted late 2009, so surely must be the same iMac/earlier than mine and he seems to have managed it - can you shed any light on this at all?
Here's the deal to use your iMac as an external display:

'This model also "supports input from external DisplayPort sources" with adapters, so it can be used as an external display for DisplayPort-equipped devices as well as a computer.'

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually this suggests it could work too... Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
"Target Display Mode" (TDM) is the shorter & fancier way of saying what I posted above (mini-display port to mini-display port)...via cable connection. Which is mentioned in the TDM link you posted above.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mikenewport

Thanks for your answer - awesome! Great news.

Can you think of any way of still using the other monitor too? Is there some sort of hub to split the signal, or a way of sending on from the iMac to the other display? Or perhaps using one of the other Thunderbolt ports on the MBP I could hook the other monitor up?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Can you think of any way of still using the other monitor too? Is there some sort of hub to split the signal, or a way of sending on from the iMac to the other display?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.
For $327 bucks...you could try this:

PCM | Matrox, eXpansion Module TripleHead2Go - Digital Edition - video converter, T2G-D3D-IF

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving to Eastern Europe | iMac Power shutdown »