New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which Mac is the best deal for editing photos?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mike3b3

Mike3b3 is on a distinguished road

I am going to migrate away from windows. Which Mac is the most cost effective with longevity upgrade ablity. Leaning towards used Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When asking about a Mac desktop with longevity upgrade ability, that means the Mac Pro. The 27" iMac is a nice machine with a great display and its memory can be upgraded, but that's the extent of it. The iMac 21.5" models are not user upgradeable. The latest Mac Mini is actually more upgradeable than an iMac. (hard drive and memory) But you would have to supply a monitor, keyboard, and pointing device.

You also mentioned cost effective. A late model Mac Pro (depending on its configuration) can be expensive. And a new Mac Pro (2014 model) can easily exceed $3500, again depending on its configuration.
QUOTE Thanks
Mike3b3

Mike3b3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply- I was thinking along the lines of a used Mac Pro-2011-2012 I found some with quad core / eight core processors and a $800- $1200 price range.
This should get me into something powerful enough to edit some big photos and flexible enough to grow later. I have a good monitor keybord and mouse.
It has been years since I have used a Mac can you recommend a reference book to bring me up to speed on operation and terminology of the OS and apps?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you already have a decent monitor, hard to beat a Mac Mini for value. My 2012 model easily runs Photoshop CS6.
Another option is a 15in MBP. Plenty of horsepower there. I sometimes drive a 27 monitor off mine as a second display. Again, Photoshop etc no problem.

EDIT: a 2011 - 2012 Mac Pro for $1000 would be an excellent photo workstation.

Here is a good book IMO
http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-...ing+to+the+mac

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I like The Missing Manual. You can get this for any version. The one for Mavericks just came out this week.

OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual: David Pogue: 9781449362249: Amazon.com: Books
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Mac Pro with say 16GB of memory and an SSD drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blu-ray on iMac | Drivers for Mac to support ASUS monitor? »