New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mid 2007 iMac heating problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaftBrony83

DaftBrony83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2007 iMac 20", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD,10.9.1 Mavericks, iPad mini 1st Gen, iPhone 5C

Hello all, I'm new to the forums here and I recently purchased a new main computer, since my late 2006 had just about had it on its last leg. I purchased a Mid 2007 iMac and had a quick question. Now before I go on, I just want to say I'm not new to Macs or Mac OS X. Made the switch at the end of 2011 and never going back But I digress. I wanted to know, it seems like my iMac is running a bit hot. I'll have it on for about maybe 30 minutes and it is burning to the touch (at least it feels that way to me) I installed SMCFan control and its reading that my mac is running at 106 F. Is that normal? I'm just concerned that it may be overheating since my 2011 iMac, which I no longer possess, I don't remember it running so hot. I've also done a little research and looked up charts for the CPU's and other stuff (excuse my noobish manner I just don't remember what else was on the list) and quite frankly it confuses the hell out of me. So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-DPunk
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftBrony83 View Post
I wanted to know, it seems like my iMac is running a bit hot. I'll have it on for about maybe 30 minutes and it is burning to the touch (at least it feels that way to me) I installed SMCFan control and its reading that my mac is running at 106 F. Is that normal? I'm just concerned that it may be overheating...
First question. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure the temp. is 106F? If so...this is only approx. 8F above normal human body temp....and is absolutely NOT HOT whatsoever...at all.

So please confirm that we are talking about 106F...and not some other number.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DaftBrony83

Mac Specs: Mid 2007 iMac 20", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD,10.9.1 Mavericks, iPad mini 1st Gen, iPhone 5C

Honestly, I am not sure if the program is 100% on the temp readings. However, I highly doubt that it would be going over 106. The fan has never kicked up so high that I would actually take notice of it running. So, I should have nothing to worry about I guess.

-DPunk
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

106F is not "burning to the touch". As I mentioned...106F is only 8F above human body temp (not hot at all). We have folks all the time reporting computer temps of 150, 160, 170, 180, and 190+F (well above the temp of your iMac)...and these computers are fine.

And FYI. When someone makes a cup of coffee or a cup of tea at home...many times they boil water first. The boiling point of water at sea level is 212F. This is "BURNING HOT".

I can almost guarantee you...that you wouldn't want to take a shower or a bath in 106F water (too cool). So it's certainly not a temp. to be concerned about with your iMac.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
DaftBrony83

Eh, I just wanted to be sure. Guess you can say I have a low tolerance for heat. My bad

-DPunk
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftBrony83 View Post
Guess you can say I have a low tolerance for heat.
Maybe so.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data drain | blu-ray on iMac »