New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Fan Running Fast?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hi All - bought an iMac (specs below) in April of this year - used mainly by my wife - she came out this morning and said the computer was noisy. On inspection, the noise was a fast fan (never happened before) - I first did a Time Machine BU and cloned the HD w/ CCC.

Then I simply shutdown & powered back up - no noise. iStats reported the fan @ 3400 rpm when noisy, now running @ 1400 rpm (temp about 80 degrees F). I was planning to reset the SMC if the noise returned, but seems fine @ the moment. Any other advice, checks, etc.? Thanks - Dave

iMac 21.5" display
OS X 10.9.1
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 M 512 MB
Fusion Drive 1 TB
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Apple explains things in this article about resetting the SMC:-

iMac: Fans run at full speed after computer turns on

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Reference the Apple article: Who in world pushes the power button on at the same time while plugging the AC power cord in to the receptacle?

@Dave

Did you buy Apple care for the iMac? If not, might be a good time to do so before the one year warranty is up on that machine.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Reference the Apple article: Who in world pushes the power button on at the same time while plugging the AC power cord in to the receptacle?

@Dave

Did you buy Apple care for the iMac? If not, might be a good time to do so before the one year warranty is up on that machine.
Hi Harry & Chscag - thanks for your comments! Not to worry, I do have Apple Care and bought locally at a MacAuthority store in the mall.

Also I was reviewing information on resetting the SMC, and for an Intel-based iMac (directions quoted below), a little simpler than trying to bring Frankenstein to life -

Dave

Quote:
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac USB issues | Intel Iris Pro for DOTA 2 - 21.5" »