New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2009 I-Mac running slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jr@m

Jr@m is on a distinguished road

Hello all. My I-Mac, which I believe to be the 2009 model, has recently been functioning very poorly. It began abruptly yesterday where one hour I was watching videos on youtube without an issue and then it became very unresponsive shortly after. It had become so slow that I performed a hard shutdown as the computer would not respond to my clicking on simply the apple logo.
After this shutdown, I assumed it would function properly, but then it persisted. Symptoms of this include the dock not responding immediately, whereas typically it would respond, when I dragged my mouse over the icons. Loading applications takes very long as does loading websites. Despite this, loading my homepage does not take very long, and according to my activity monitor, neither the RAM nor the processor are being strained to their limits.
The model has not been updated to Mavericks yet, but is on the 10.8 version. If anybody could help me with potential resolutions it would be greatly appreciated. I think it could be a hard drive failure due to the shutdown, but I find that unlikely as the symptoms were present prior to the shutdown. Alternatively, it may be I need to reinstall or upgrade the OS; i'm not sure, so perhaps that's where you all could start in diagnosing this problem.
Thank you whoever responds.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would start by running some tests on the hard drive to see if it's OK. Also, how much free space is remaining on your hard drive? A drive that's fairly full will begin to slow everything down.

To check your hard drive: Boot to the recovery partition by holding down Command plus the r key when booting the machine. Once in recovery, select Utilities and then Disk Utility. Highlight your Macintosh HD on the left side and then select Verify on the right side.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I would start by running some tests on the hard drive to see if it's OK. Also, how much free space is remaining on your hard drive? A drive that's fairly full will begin to slow everything down.

To check your hard drive: Boot to the recovery partition by holding down Command plus the r key when booting the machine. Once in recovery, select Utilities and then Disk Utility. Highlight your Macintosh HD on the left side and then select Verify on the right side.
I agree with all of the above and in addition I would suggest also verifying and if necessary repairing permissions.
Total HD memory can certainly be a problem if you're running short, you need roughly 10% free. Background apps like time machine plus third party apps like dropbox and others can also chew up a bit of memory.
How much RAM do you have?

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Jr@m

Thanks you guys I'll give it a shot and let you know. Space should not be an issue as I have about 500 GB free, haha. Also, I have 8 gigs of RAM. My computer also has had an encryption installed for about 6 months, but it has not been an issue up to this point.
QUOTE Thanks
Jr@m

Well I scanned the hard drive and it verified that everything is ok. I didn't check whether the OS X base system is ok though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Belarc advisor for Mac | iMac USB issues »