New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Older version of Mac mini buying??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cardifftomo

Cardifftomo is on a distinguished road

Hello all new to this forum and had a little look around the site.

Right I have 2 x Apple TVs in the house and are run of my windows laptop with extranal hard drive which stores all my iTunes media.

Looking at getting a used cheap Mac mini model anything from 2004 onwards I.e cheap ones.

Would a cheap model be ok to run only my iTunes around the house and with using my hard drive for the media?

Sometimes I take my laptop to work so kids can't watch Apple TV.

Hope you guys understand what I'm after,
Cheers
Craig
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardifftomo View Post
Looking at getting a used cheap Mac mini model anything from 2004 onwards I.e cheap ones.

Would a cheap model be ok to run only my iTunes around the house and with using my hard drive for the media?

Sometimes I take my laptop to work so kids can't watch Apple TV.
I believe that you want to get at least an "Intel" Mac-Mini. The older G4 Mac-Mini's really aren't as capable. And as far as the Intel Mac-Mini's...I would at least get a Core 2 Duo model.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Cardifftomo

Thanks for that pigoo3. Gives me an idea when looking, will I need the mouse and key pad?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardifftomo View Post
...will I need the mouse and key pad?
I would think so. How else will you navigate & input stuff??

Now if your question really was...do you need an Apple keyboard & mouse?...no. Just about any USB mouse & keyboard will work. But...with an Apple keyboard...you do get the additional functionality of the "specialty keys" on the keyboard (volume control, brightness control, mute, optical drive eject, etc.).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Cardifftomo

Haha cheers mate lol, yeah wanted to know if if was only apple lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I wanted to mention...that if all you needed this Mac-Mini for was to play iTunes stuff (music & maybe videos)...the older & cheaper G4 Mac-Mini's may get the job done.

But when it comes to interfacing with an Apple TV and streaming "stuff" from the internet...a newer Core 2 Duo Intel Mac-Mini is what you want. This is because of more cpu and graphics "horsepower"...as well as hardware & OS compatibility you get with newer Intel Mac-Mini's.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Cardifftomo

Ok thanks, that's all it would be used got is iTunes for movies around the house with Apple TV, I guess it's a point of you get what you pay for, and looking at around 150 for an used Intel one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan turns on when iMac powered off. | 2011 iMac 21.5" Refurb: 2.8GHz Core i7 vs. 2.7GHz Core i5? »