New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Used iMac opinions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to store my photos and have them accessible to both my ipad and macbook while also having them backed up elsewhere. I was considering a NAS system but am not sure if I'm tech savvy enough to get that set up. Another idea then was to get a macmini and have it set up in the house, use it as the base to download all pics and enable sharing so the ipad or macbook can grab pics from it. While looking into the options I checked craigslist and found that an older iMac can be found for a decent price. Would this work as well as I hope?

Any opinions/info would be great, so far I've seen some iMacs listed as G5, a bunch with 17" screens and a few with 20 and 24" screens. Not sure what all the differences are between the versions.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Found a good history of mac versions:
How to identify iMac models
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Rather than buying a computer just to store and share photos, why not use a cloud service like DropBox? This would let you have an offsite backup so if a catastrophe struck at home (say, a fire), you would still be able to access your photos.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

A cloud service is an option but somewhat costly from what I've found
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Modern NAS' are a cinch to setup and provide very nice web-based (or otherwise) frontends to manage the entire system and all of it's services..

Your initial instinct was correct and you don't need a lot of tech knowledge to set these up..

An additional benefit of the NAS' is that you get the nice built-in backup facility with various levels of RAID.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Modern NAS' are a cinch to setup and provide very nice web-based (or otherwise) frontends to manage the entire system and all of it's services..

Your initial instinct was correct and you don't need a lot of tech knowledge to set these up..

An additional benefit of the NAS' is that you get the nice built-in backup facility with various levels of RAID.
I'll look into that option some more. I'm looking for a place to store all my pics and have them still accessible to multiple computers/ipads. From my research it seems that the easiest option would be to have another computer to download memory cards to directly. How easy will sharing be with a NAS? I suppose if it was connected to the network via ethernet cable I could wirelessly backup my macbook but can anyone get to that back up to see/use the pics?

Any recommendations on a good NAS I should look into?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I would suggest looking at Synology NAS' and specifically this live demo they have of their NAS' frontend. Read about DSM that makes is easy for you to share data and do the things you want with photos and so on..

If I were going to upgrade my current NAS, I'd go with a Synology..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

That Synology is really neat, had no idea that was available. Did a quick look and there are plenty of options with a huge range in price. Maybe something like a ds112j or 212j?

So basically the macbook would use it for backup via time machine and other users could log in and look at the pics? Or do the photos have to be put into a dedicated photo folder for sharing purposes?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a caveman when it comes to this stuff...
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Yes, most NAS' have a facility to act as a HD for Time Machine backups. I use my ReadyNAS for that. As far as photos goes, take a look at DS Photo+ for that..

Read through the documentation on that website to see how things work, I don't own this NAS so I can't be certain as to the specifics..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Thanks, I'll do some reading about these things.
My main concern is the photos, making them available for sharing amongst users, my backups are currently done on an external hard drive which I will keep doing.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As a suggestion use two backups as a hard drive will always fail, sooner or later. And steer well clear of G5 iMacs if going that way. PowerPC days are well and truly behind us. A mid 2011 iMac at least is the way to go.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« kernel panic | Please help, bootcache.playlist error, impossible to boot »