New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External Hard drive back up for my IMAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MARTINSR

MARTINSR is on a distinguished road

I am sure it's been discussed here a million times but doing a search didn't answer my question. I guess I am as bad a searching as I am at knowing what to do with my IMAC.

Sooooo, I have no back up, and I don't want to loose everything I have so I finally broke down and bought a back up, a Seagate "Backup plus" 2TB

Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive for Mac (STCB2000900): Computers & Accessories

And while I was out getting this, my wife bought one as well, a "My Passport" 1TB.

Amazon.com: WD My Passport for Mac 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 (WDBLUZ0010BSL-NESN): Computers & Accessories

Outside of the larger size of the Seagate ( I will NEVER need that much) is there anything better about either one?

I will be returning one of them so I would like to keep the best one being I have them both sitting here.

Thanks alot!

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well one question is the iMac actually a USB23 model? If so for thirty bucks I would suggest keeping the 2TB model.

WD v Seagate is a matter of personal opinion. Have used both and found them to be reasonably reliable considering all platter drives will fail some time or other..

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MARTINSR

Ok, here is my ignorance showing, what it eh USB23 you refer to? Do you mean USB3.....I just did some some google searching and no, it is not, crap. Ok, so the dude at the "McComputer" store didn't help me much at all did he? Ok, so is the Passport would be ok then?

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Ok, here is my ignorance showing, what it eh USB23 you refer to? Do you mean USB3.....I just did some some google searching and no, it is not, crap. Ok, so the dude at the "McComputer" store didn't help me much at all did he? Ok, so is the Passport would be ok then?
Hi Brian - the question is whether the USB ports on your iMac are 2 vs. 3 standards, but not to worry, if you iMac has only USB 2 ports, the external HDs are back compatible and will work fine just at the slower speed of the earlier standard; plus, if you upgrade your computer the new one will certainly have USB 3 ports (or a later version).

For myself, I have 1TB USB 3.0 external HDs running Time Machine on my iMac & MBPro. As to your choice, probably does not make much difference - if the extra capacity is not a concern and you want to save a few bucks, then that may be the determining factor. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There is something you need to be aware of though... If your machine is USB 2.0 and you purchase an external hard drive that is USB 3.0, make sure that a USB 3.0 cable is included in the box. USB 3.0 cables and USB 2.0 cables are not backward compatible even though the ports themselves are. The drive connector end on a USB 3.0 cable is different than the drive connector end on a USB 2.0 cable.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
There is something you need to be aware of though... If your machine is USB 2.0 and you purchase an external hard drive that is USB 3.0, make sure that a USB 3.0 cable is included in the box. USB 3.0 cables and USB 2.0 cables are not backward compatible even though the ports themselves are. The drive connector end on a USB 3.0 cable is different than the drive connector end on a USB 2.0 cable.
Hi Chscag - I should have mentioned that there is a different USB 3.0 plug (w/ an indentation like the pic below) - but just took a look at my 2 external HDs which are USB 3.0 and both have hybrid cables, i.e. one end that plugs into the drives have the indented appearance below, however the other end has the standard looking USB 2.0 ends - on my MBPro the USB ports have to older appearing connections - SO, I'm assuming that our OP likely has these hybrid cables and should work fine - just some additional observations. Dave

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The forward facing end of that adapter is what the connector looks like that plugs into the female connector on a USB 3 hard drive while the other end is compatible with the USB 2 or 3 ports on your Mac. Most new hard drives that are USB 3.0 should include a cable in the box. If not, they can be expensive when buying one separately.
QUOTE Thanks
MARTINSR

Thanks guys, this forum has been soooooooo great!

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you do not have USB3, consider FW800. Much much faster.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MARTINSR

Thanks, I am using the Passport, now I need to figure out just how to use it.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Thanks, I am using the Passport, now I need to figure out just how to use it.
Hi again Brian - the quote below is from your Amazon link, i.e. the HD is already formatted for your iMac and Time Machine is what you need to use (at least for your initial backup - most of us here have 'redundant' backups, especially of important personal files). Good luck - Dave

Quote:
The Passport for Mac is HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your Mac computer, but it can be reformatted for Windows. It is also compatible with Apple Time Machine backup software.
QUOTE Thanks
MARTINSR

Thanks! I know it's doing it's job, I am talking about retrieving things and that sort of thing.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Thanks! I know it's doing it's job, I am talking about retrieving things and that sort of thing.

Brian
If you are using Time Machine the restoration process is pretty straightforward. Here's a quick overview of how it's done. The article mentions entering TiMe Machine from the icon in the menu bar but you can also enter it from the icon in the Dock.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help, bootcache.playlist error, impossible to boot | Fan turns on when iMac powered off. »