Problem with IMac display

My father and I both own iMac 8,1 and mine has absolutely no problem.
    My father's screen is darkened at the top half of the screen, although you can still see through the darkened area. It's as though there is a "shaded" area at the top. The bottom half of the screen is fine.

I tried various display setting resets and everything I can think of, to no avail. I took a screen shot and sent it to my own computer, but the screen shot looks fine from here.

I am thinking it is a hardware problem and may need technician. Can anyone help or suggest what might be happening here?

The Republic of Neptune
    That's undoubtedly a hardware problem. It could be a loose connection, or perhaps the backlight is partially defective. You'd really need an expert to look at it.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    I had that happen when I was inside my iMac G5. When I put it back together one time in a hurry, I forgot to plug in the wires from the Top back light to the inverter. So it's either a Backlight issue or maybe inverter issue as most iMacs I have worked on have 2 sets of wires from the inverter to the LCD or a wire come looks like LB stated above.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    It could be the LED Inverter or the LCD. Most backlight problems I've seen have been caused by the LCD, although in these instances one side was darker than the other, not top to bottom as per the original post.

Thread Information