New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Max HDD size for Mac Mini L2012

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I been looking online without any luck. But does anyone know for sure what the largest HDD a Mac Mini will support? Not the 1TB it came with, but whats the largest I can put in my Late 2012 Mac Mini.

I got the kit coming from the states from OWC for the 2nd drive, all I really needed was the small ribbon cable. But before I pull it apart again, I was thinking about a larger drive other then the original 1TB that came with it. Photography RAW files eat up space pretty bad.

Thanks,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THere is no limit, as long as you can find a Sata drive of the right size then it will work. 2 TB is the max size 2.5 inch drive currently made.

For RAW files, it would be better to archive them off to an external 4 TB unit, rather than spend a lot more on an internal 2 TB drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
THere is no limit, as long as you can find a Sata drive of the right size then it will work. 2 TB is the max size 2.5 inch drive currently made.

For RAW files, it would be better to archive them off to an external 4 TB unit, rather than spend a lot more on an internal 2 TB drive
I have a 2TB NAS I was going to convert to my main TC backup. But yea, looks like 2TB is the limit at the moment on 2.5's. I do however have a WD My Book Studio 2TB on my want list, but I am curious what "real" speeds will I get from a USB 3.0 on a single external drive. I am hoping for comparable internal HDD speeds (~90MB/s R/W). My NAS is SLOW.. It only gets 30MB/s on a good day, plus access is very slow on start up. It would make a better Time Capsule backup..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I add a program to my "Open With..." List? | Rebuilding an iMac disk »