New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Rebuilding an iMac disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBPhotos

JBPhotos is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure if this is the right Forum but I'm sure you'll guide me.

My 24in iMac with 4GB of Intel Core 2 is now 6 years old. It has a 750 GB internal hard drive which I have partitioned to give 100GB for Windows. Of the remaining 650 GB, 130 GB is free. I have all the latest updates - Mavericks etc.
The challenge I face is a dramatic slowing down of processing, a lack of response to mouse clicks and sometimes a freeze. Programs like Photoshop also fall over.
I feel that I should wipe everything and clean up my machine completely.
But is there a way that I can do that myself without losing the partition and all the Apps I have installed? Or should go to an authorised dealer? Or should I just buy a new iMac?
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPhotos View Post
I'm not quite sure if this is the right Forum but I'm sure you'll guide me.

My 24in iMac with 4GB of Intel Core 2 is now 6 years old. It has a 750 GB internal hard drive which I have partitioned to give 100GB for Windows. Of the remaining 650 GB, 130 GB is free. I have all the latest updates - Mavericks etc.
The challenge I face is a dramatic slowing down of processing, a lack of response to mouse clicks and sometimes a freeze. Programs like Photoshop also fall over.
I feel that I should wipe everything and clean up my machine completely.
But is there a way that I can do that myself without losing the partition and all the Apps I have installed? Or should go to an authorised dealer? Or should I just buy a new iMac?
Those are all potential signs that your drive may be failing. Given the age of your iMac, if that's the original drive, then that's a very high probability. See my guide on how to check. In any event, start making backups, just to be sure!
QUOTE Thanks
JBPhotos

Oh dear!

Many thanks. I'll check out your guide.

Fortunately I'm pretty good on backing up but I'll be shifting everything off my hard drive now!
QUOTE Thanks
JBPhotos

I've followed the link you give but leads to a thread about NTFS. Have I got something wrong or is it my hard drive being difficult!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've followed the link you give but leads to a thread about NTFS. Have I got something wrong or is it my hard drive being difficult!!
If you follow the link, it goes directly to a reply of mine with instructions on how to test for HDD failure.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The forum is acting a little sluggish currently - wait for it to load - you're in the correct thread - you're looking for post # 10 there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JBPhotos

Ah, Yes. Thank you.

My first attempt took me to the top of the post but, as explained below, I've now found it and will pursue.

In the meantime I had searched other threads and found guidance on using the Recovery mode (restart with Cmnd and R pressed down) and then Verify Disk. This showed up errors and an offer to repair the disk, which I clicked on, Success followed and things seem to be running much more smoothly now.

Whether that means that my hard drive will behave properly now or I should be replacing it I know not. Fingers crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Ah, Yes. Thank you.

My first attempt took me to the top of the post but, as explained below, I've now found it and will pursue.

In the meantime I had searched other threads and found guidance on using the Recovery mode (restart with Cmnd and R pressed down) and then Verify Disk. This showed up errors and an offer to repair the disk, which I clicked on, Success followed and things seem to be running much more smoothly now.

Whether that means that my hard drive will behave properly now or I should be replacing it I know not. Fingers crossed.
Funnily enough, another member had this exact same problem the other day. The SMART testing by DriveDx showed a warning that his drive was reaching end of life.
Rebuilding an iMac disk
QUOTE Thanks
JBPhotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Funnily enough, another member had this exact same problem the other day. The SMART testing by DriveDx showed a warning that his drive was reaching end of life.
Rebuilding an iMac disk
I bought DriveDx and ran the tests. No problems except that the Spin up Rate was noted as average. Everything else seemed to be 100%. Very puzzling.

So, I think I'm back to my original question: Is there any recommended approach for giving the hard drive a good spring clean without losing the Apps and destroying my Windows partition? (I keep the Windows XP partition solely for Flight Simulator FX; sadly, Windows still has the best overall flight simulator.)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I bought DriveDx and ran the tests. No problems except that the Spin up Rate was noted as average. Everything else seemed to be 100%. Very puzzling.

So, I think I'm back to my original question: Is there any recommended approach for giving the hard drive a good spring clean without losing the Apps and destroying my Windows partition?
Since the drive checked out, we recommend getting Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. This may help a lot. There's not much else to "spring cleaning" to be done. I see you mentioned you use Photoshop. You may benefit by defragging your hard drive. People who work with a lot of media files tend to benefit the most from this.

EDIT: And you may still want to consider replacing the drive anyway, especially if it's more than a few years old. At the minimum, have a backup plan in place just in case it fails with little to no notice. The SMART monitoring tools like DriveDx are very good at what they do, but not infallible and can only rely on the drive's self-reporting mechanism.
Quote:
(I keep the Windows XP partition solely for Flight Simulator FX; sadly, Windows still has the best overall flight simulator.)
Better than X-Plane?
X-Plane 10 for Mac | X-Plane.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
(I keep the Windows XP partition solely for Flight Simulator FX; sadly, Windows still has the best overall flight simulator.)

Better than X-Plane?

X-Plane 10 for Mac | X-Plane.com
I think so also. While X-Plane is a great app and simulator the drawback is that it requires the DVD to be in the disk drive at all times while the program is running. I'm not sure what they're doing about that now since most new Macs no longer have a disk drive.
QUOTE Thanks
JBPhotos

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. Looks like I need to be very cautious and think about a new drive, or better still a new iMac!

Probably not the place to discuss X-Plane but I think The dreaded Microsoft scores on the much superior scenery availability. I have both and to avoid keeping the DVD in the drive, you can buy a USB plug which does the same job from X-Plane.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max HDD size for Mac Mini L2012 | Mac Pro 5.1 12-core vs Mac Pro 4-core »