New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac mysteriously deleting files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ptkaster

ptkaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 7,1 software version: 10.6.8 processor: Intel Core 2 Duo

I have been getting extremely low on open memory on my mac for a couple of weeks. I recently tried to upload a couple of pictures from a DSLR, and all of my applications crashed. I had to leave my house for work, but when I came back my computer was shutdown. I don't have it set for anything like that, and that has never happened before. I opened up activity monitor, and there is now 4GB of open memory. My memory was in the megabytes before the shutdown. What do you suppose it deleted? where should I look first?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hi Ptkaster - welcome to the forum!

Being a newbie here myself, you will be asked the following (and likely more), so: 1) Need the specifics on your Mac (see below my avatar); 2) OS on the machine; and 3) Any recent hardware and/or software upgrades? As said, there will likely be other questions but I'll get you started - good luck! Dave
QUOTE Thanks
ptkaster

Ok Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Were you getting low on memory (ram) or disk space? If you were getting low on ram that space would clear out when the computer shut down. Any shutdown /restart of the system would clear that space. Not sure what caused the shutdown though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In this case - even with all the details, there is no way anyone is going to have any idea what may or may not be there any longer.

1st - "low on open memory" are you talking about the hard drive and the amount of "space" unused on the drive or are you actually talking about the memory as in the "RAM" on the machine?

2nd - If that answer is hard drive space - 4 GB could easily be taken up by the sleep image alone which is deleted every time the machine shuts down - could be a combination of the sleep image, virtual memory, other cache, who knows what else...

3rd - if you are indeed talking about your hard drive space - I suggest you immediately back up that drive before you do anything else... Then, free up at least 10% of the total space on that drive before it totally crashes and won't even boot up any longer &/or get a new larger drive to put in that machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ptkaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Were you getting low on memory (ram) or disk space? If you were getting low on ram that space would clear out when the computer shut down. Any shutdown /restart of the system would clear that space. Not sure what caused the shutdown though.
I believe that you are correct. This seems likely although to be certain im not exactly sure either. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mac Pro Benchmarks | Compatibility of a 2nd monitor »