New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need more control of scrolling on my desktop!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rocknoggin

Rocknoggin is on a distinguished road

I've hated having to scroll on my computer ever since getting rid of my G5 and getting an iMac. I love my iMac but I hate that Apple took away that button at the bottom of the scroll bar that allows you to tap your way up or down. When I attempt to drag the scroll bar on my own I often end up with it slipping elsewhere when I release the mouse. And when I tap directly under the scroll bar it usually ends up a bit farther down that I wanted it (no matter how close to the bar I click).

Anyway to get the tap function back??

Thanks much!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hello Rocknoggin - have you gone into System Preferences > Mouse, and looked at your options there? Might find some settings that can be changed to better suit your needs? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For what it is worth with my 2012 iMac have found a trackpad the be all and end all for my 2012 iMac. Two finger swipes does away with scroll bars etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
For what it is worth with my 2012 iMac have found a trackpad the be all and end all for my 2012 iMac. Two finger swipes does away with scroll bars etc.
Hi Harry - agree, love the trackpad on my MBPro - wife uses our new iMac & the Magic Mouse which she does not like that much - suggested getting her a trackpad but does not want to give it a try (she's been a 'mouse woman' for decades!) - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And here Harry I thought you were old fashioned like me and hated trackpads. I can't stand the miserable things. As a matter of fact I wish my iMac had a nice big rolling ball mouse in the middle of the keyboard! Remember those?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As a matter of fact I wish my iMac had a nice big rolling ball mouse in the middle of the keyboard! Remember those?
I have four of them (roller ball mice). I use them with all my computers...including all three of my laptops!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And here Harry I thought you were old fashioned like me and hated trackpads. I can't stand the miserable things. As a matter of fact I wish my iMac had a nice big rolling ball mouse in the middle of the keyboard! Remember those?
LOL! Yep, I remember those KBs - think that I saw one in a museum visit recently? Dave

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You is very old fashioned Charlie!!!

Trackpad with a Magic Bar rules.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« migrate files MacBook to iMac | New Mac Pro Benchmarks »