New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Compatibility of a 2nd monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tunnack

tunnack is on a distinguished road

Can I hook up a Canadian 2001 Apple monitor to my 2011 Australian iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of video inputs does the 2001 monitor have? Your 2011 iMac has a Thunderbolt output port which is backward compatible to the MiniDisplayPort. Whether it's Canadian or Australian shouldn't matter as long as the Canadian monitor can operate on 240 V since Canadian power like the US is 120 V.
QUOTE Thanks
tunnack

tunnack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What kind of video inputs does the 2001 monitor have? Your 2011 iMac has a Thunderbolt output port which is backward compatible to the MiniDisplayPort. Whether it's Canadian or Australian shouldn't matter as long as the Canadian monitor can operate on 240 V since Canadian power like the US is 120 V.
Thank you for responding. The Candadian 2001 monitor has an attached lead with a VGA connection on the end - it has 3 rows of 10 pins. there is a gap at the end of the 1st and 3rd rows and then an addition 2 pins on each row and the 2nd row has the same gap and then a solid wide and flat pin.

I had used a Samsung monitor for years but on re-attaching it after a move it won't "boot up"…it just keeps doing a very fast disco flash saying something about the display size. I have tried a new mini display port to DVI Adaptor but it hasn't helped. To be honest, I saw the Apple monitor left out for the rubbish and thought it was worth a try but then saw it was Canadian. If I am only using it as a secondary monitor and all the power is actually coming through the iMac, will it harm the iMac if the Canadian power is 120V??

Thank you
Tunnack
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
If I am only using it as a secondary monitor and all the power is actually coming through the iMac, will it harm the iMac if the Canadian power is 120V??
No. Anyway, Apple products are designed for world wide use. The only difference would be the receptacle size and the different male plugs.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If the monitor has this cable attached to it - you're not going to directly attach that to a 2011 iMac. That is the old Apple Display Connector - similar to, but not a DVI connector. It draws not only the video signal, but power via that cable. If you can find an adapter for it to get it to work, it'll run you $100 US or more - and that's if the monitor even still works.

You'll need one of these and a 240v to 120v adapter to plug it in and a mini displayport to DVI adapter.

Would suggest putting it back out on the curb where you found it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I really agree with Bobtomay on this. Besides 100 bucks for an adapter when you can buy a new 23" or 24" LCD display for 150ish is a much better option.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mysteriously deleting files? | How to get 5.1 audio from my iMac »