New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to get 5.1 audio from my iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

I stumbled across (and now can't find it again) a youtube video where I discovered that the 3.5mm audio jack on the back of my iMac doubles as a mini-TOSLINK connector, and that an optical cable can be run to a 5.1 digital adapter. The adapter suggested in that video was off eBay and of course no longer available...I'm interested but not sure what adapter I can buy that will do the same function.

I have a Logitech 5.1 system with the 3x3.5mm plugs that were in an audio card in an old PC. I had tried to sell it, not realizing I could still use it

Ideas?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You can get one from Amazon.
Amazon.com: digital audio converter

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll be looking for something like this.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You'll be looking for something like this.

That looks like it. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Take a look around and read some reviews - there are more of them available - I only linked the first one that popped up.

You can also look at external USB sound cards.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

hmm interesting. I didn't know this.. Do Mac Minis also have this option?

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Need to check on the specific mini - particularly since the first couple of models were PPC machines.

Pretty sure all the Intel MMs have a headphone port with combined stereo analog and 5.1 optical audio output.
Can verify your model at everymac.com - in the Ports - Sound section.

Need to realize - no Dolby/DTS on the Mac - so even while using the optical out - you will only get 5.1 from 5.1 sources - like movies/games/etc. That is, all your music which is typically in stereo, will still only be output in stereo unless you're connecting to a device that provides Dolby/DTS to provide a faux 5.1 sound.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Checked it last night.. Its says Digital/Analog output.. L2012 MM.. I got some really great monitor quality speakers that are stereo anyway.. But if I ever upgrade this is good information to know.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compatibility of a 2nd monitor | used Imac »