Specs:
    MacBook Pro 7,1 | Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | OS 10.8.5
    Mac Pro 2010, Possible W3670/80 upgrade from W3530
    Hi, looking around ebay for either a Xeon W3670 3.2GHz or W3680 3.33GHz hexa core. Would be upgrading from a W3530 2.8GHz quad in a 2010 Mac Pro. I have a few questions, since I'd rather know ahead of time.

1. Besides clock speed, the difference between the 3670 and 3680 is that the lower supports 1066MHz and the higher is 1333MHz. Is this correct?

2. What should I pay for a used tho working 6-core?

3. International shipping. What to expect from this, and what are the cautions? I'm not the best with eBay, and have always dealt with US transactions.

4. Is there a particular version of these CPUs that I must use in a Mac Pro? Initially, I was under the impression that a socket is a socket is a socket, as long it's the right one, but now I see extra info (example: SLBVE COSTA RICA 3.20GZ / 12M / 4.80 3035A996).

5. Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
    "Babe, if you were DNA, I'd wanna be your helicase so I could unzip those genes." So smooth.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by markusaurileus View Post

5. Is there anything else I am missing?
    Yes. Upgrading the cpu's on Mac Pro's are not for the faint of heart...and not a common procedure.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    This may be a guide for you:-

Intel BX80613W3680 CPU Xeon SIX Core W3680 3 33GHz LGA1366 12MB 6 4GTS Turbo | eBay

The clock speed would be determined by the logic board.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes. Upgrading the cpu's on Mac Pro's are not for the faint of heart...and not a common procedure.

- Nick
    Aw, I've been under the impression that it can be somewhat easy with a little hardware experience.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    This may be a guide for you:-

Intel BX80613W3680 CPU Xeon SIX Core W3680 3 33GHz LGA1366 12MB 6 4GTS Turbo | eBay

The clock speed would be determined by the logic board.
    Thanks : ) I'm a little bummed. At the time I posted this, I was eyeing a bid on a W3670 that ended at ~$210 USD

Btw, sorry for the late replies. I wanted to reply, but have been using all my free time on other things this winter, namely Battlefield 4 (-__ - i'll be honest lol…)
    "Babe, if you were DNA, I'd wanna be your helicase so I could unzip those genes." So smooth.

Specs:
    Aw, I've been under the impression that it can be somewhat easy with a little hardware experience.
    Sure it can be done. It's good to be confident & experienced. But since I do not know your experience level...I always warn that this is not a common/easy procedure.

I certainly don't want to tell the random person (who hasn't even installed ram)...that upgrading the cpu's on a Mac Pro is easy!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Sure it can be done. It's good to be confident & experienced. But since I do not know your experience level...I always warn that this is not a common/easy procedure.

I certainly don't want to tell the random person (who hasn't even installed ram)...that upgrading the cpu's on a Mac Pro is easy!

- Nick
    Well thanks for the consideration haha I'm definitely no expert, but I've worked with tower building and upgrades before.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    If you get the correct parts, the task is in the reasonably hard basket but certainly not impossible. Have a look on the 'net for howto's:-

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...rocessors.html
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Well thanks for the consideration haha I'm definitely no expert, but I've worked with tower building and upgrades before.
    Like I already mentioned. Had no idea your expertise level. Identifying the correct parts is MUCH harder than the actual cpu swap.

Of course again...only "relatively easy" for someone who is comfortable & experienced working on computers...and realizing that there are few DIY instructions on the internet (unlike many other Mac upgrades). Some of the install/swap you may be on your own (which of course this is where the experience comes in).

Good luck,

- Nick

Specs:
    Thanks guys for helping me cover the bases.

The researching part has definitely taken a much longer time than expected. Will be saving up probably for a new hexacore.

Thread Information