New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help with Data Transfer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smb

smb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

I have a Mac Pro (2008, 3.1) with three WD 3TB EHDs holding 6 years worth of Aperture Libraries, Vaults and also Time Machine.
I am upgrading my system to a 2013 27" iMac with Drobo 5D.
What is the best way to transfer data from the old external hard drives to the Drobo?
1] Connect the Drobo to the old Mac (has firewire) and transfer data WD -> Drobo. VS
2] Set up new iMac with Drobo and plug in WD HDs one at a time to iMac and transfer data.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Either way will be fine (arguably it by be a little quicker on the new machine but there won't be much in it). Either way I'd use a sync tool to copy your data to the Drobo.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
smb

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

Can you explain sync tool and how it helps in this instance?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

A sync tool, rather than doing just a copy does a copy and compare. It's handy A) to give you confidence that what's been copied is intact at the other end and B) means when you're doing large quantities you can stop and resume the process without needing to know where you had got up to.

A sync tool will compare files and or folders and ensure that the source and destination match, taking any necessary action the ensure that.

Have a look on the Mac App Store for Folder Sync

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
smb

Thanks for that.
In theory once I copy my Aperture Libraries, the Vaults will not be as big an issue. They sort of "sync" themselves and I can always "refresh" them when the new system is up and running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac (2005 I think) hanging at boot screen. | RAM Upgrade iMac question »