New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2 smaller graphics cards or 1 big one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pancreasboy

pancreasboy is on a distinguished road

Hey there all, looking to update either my work's mac or pc with a graphics card to render in Blender's Cycles renderer (since I'm relying on the CPU at the moment and want to use GPU).

So since Blender's Cycles only supports certain Nvidia cards I guess I have these questions:

1) Would 2 smaller graphics cards be better off for faster rendering compared to one large one, eg would 2 GTX570's be better than one Titan in regards to rendering speed and cost?

2) Since my mac is my main work computer could these kinds of graphics cards be put into it, if it's a:

Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB

whereas my pc is:

ACPI Multiporcessor x64 based PC
Intel Xeon CPU
2.26 GHz
12 GB RAM
XP
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

3) Does anyone else have a similar setup and could recommend me graphics cards to render from GPU in Blender's Cycles?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

2. You're not going to get 2 video cards into an iMac.

You're also not going to put an off-the-shelf desktop video card into an iMac.

1. In relation to your windows machine - you're going to need to start searching the web for benchmarks on the specific cards you are considering. You "might" get some feedback in a Blender specific forum.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancreasboy View Post
2) Since my mac is my main work computer could these kinds of graphics cards be put into it...
Your iMac is basically a closed system in terms of increasing its cpu and gpu abilities. All your really able to do is upgrade the ram & hard drive. If you need more processing power out of your iMac...you need to purchase a newer/faster imac.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pancreasboy

pancreasboy is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks guys,

so from all the posts I've read so far here's what I've discovered...

No to the mac in regards to 2 graphics cards or fitting in a card of my choice (unless I maybe wait for the MacPro).

For my PC I need to check a few things, like do I have 2 PCI Express x16 length Slots to hold the cards and a good enough PSU (since dual cards might overheat), and is my CPU a single, dual, quad core?

I'll try to get a photo inside my PC, but the damn thing is locked shut thanks to the uni I work for. But here's a few screenshots of my setup...

The other option is make a render farm or use a online render farm service.

Another question too is can CUDA in Blender use SLI graphics cards, cause I'm getting mixed reports...
Blender Cycles best hardware ? Using the Benchmark spreadsheet analysis | Oenvoyage's Blender Blog
Blender Cycles GPU Hardware FAQ | The Dedicated System Agnostic
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble-shooting an old mac | "Office 2011 for Mac" vs. "Parallels 8 w/Windows 7" »