New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Streaming DivX/Xvid/Video_TS from PC to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fedorov

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post, thought I'd at least explain what I've tried so far and hope you Mac/wireless experts can offer me some good advice...

I decided the Mac Mini was the perfect/quiet/small size to use in the living room as a media centre for my Plasma TV.

Apart from surfing, my main requirement is to watch downloaded US tv episodes etc... I usually download all these to my PC and I've got them in a shared folder which I can access on the Mac Mini.

So far, whether it is a 700mb Xvid or (more extreme?) Video_TS folder on my PC's hard drive if I try to play them on the Mac with VLC Media Player I get the video/sound freezing briefly every 5-10 seconds, not really watchable.

My PC *was* wired to a Belkin WirelessG Highspeed Router, after looking at firmware issues I noticed that this model has a lot of "packet loss" issues reported and while it's never been an issue for my 2 wired PCs or wireless PocketPC something is causing this freezing issue to the Mac.

Note that I tried copying one of the 700mb Xvid files across to the Mac and it froze while 10% through copying, it actually needed a reboot of the Mac!
Transferring LARGE files wirelessly I know can also be a problem with many routers/firmware...

My friend has a Belkin Pre-N router and his streaming to his Mac Mini appears much smoother even though I possibly have a better signal strength to my Mac.

So, as my Belkin router is the older v1000 hardware I decided it was worthwhile getting a newer model... staying away from the ghastly unstable v5 firmware Linksys I got a Linksys WRT54GS v4 firmware model yesterday which comes with 1.05.03 firmware on it...

Tried streaming a movie to the Mac again, I've got slightly less freezing but it still does it way too often to be watchable.

I've now tried copying a large 700mb file across and that now works okay with the Linksys

So my question is... is anyone else streaming video to their mac wirelessly? is it smooth? what suggestions has anyone got so I can achieve my dream? Smile
Is it even possible to stream this stuff smoothly through the airwaves???

Thanks in advance to you all.

Fedorov.
QUOTE Thanks
Grimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov
My friend has a Belkin Pre-N router and his streaming to his Mac Mini appears much smoother even though I possibly have a better signal strength to my Mac.
His setup is just better than yours - learn to live with it :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
Fedorov

Update1: Grimbo DOES also have this issue when we tested Xvid's of a similar size.

Update2: I stumbled upon a thread over on the VLC media player forums where others were having Xvid freezing/choppiness... there is a setting in VLC to change the size of the buffer cache - it uses a very small one by default (300). Setting it to something above 2000 cured my problem. Some other Xvid's I tried I needed to increase it to 6000.

Haven't seen any freezing in any of the clips I've tried since!

Glad it turns out to be a VLC issue rather than a PC/router/Mac hardware issue

Fedorov.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2ND video monitor with mac mini or I mac ? | 8500 Monitor Issue »