New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

"out of box" discouraged

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mainiac

mainiac is on a distinguished road

We just got a refurbished iMac, and there are a bunch of set up screens that seem to be impossible to navigate through. I have an older iMac, so am not totally ignorant, but am stuck at square #1 with this thing! I expected it to just come on...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm not exactly sure what sort of setup screens you're having trouble with...but starting up a new iMac is usually pretty straightforward for both the experienced & the novice Macintosh owner.

We get lots & lots & lots of new Macintosh owners here at Mac-Forums...and I cannot remember the last time someone had a new/refurbished initial setup issue.

Maybe something unusual is going on in your situation. More information would be helpful to understand what's going on.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. If you already own an older iMac...then you're not a "Switcher".

Thanks for understanding.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We are all just end users the same as you. No one here works for Apple. Most of us get a new computer as often as you do. Which means that, we haven't seen any of those initial screens since our last new computer.

Telling us what exactly it is you are stuck at might give us some clue as to a proper course in assisting you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mainiac

They ask for me to use the "voice-over" commands and scroll with keyboard combinations. The mouse does not function... for instance, I cannot "click" on "continue", I have to use "control +option + right arrow" then space bar, but now even that doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas?

This is Apple Certified Refurbished

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Are you using a wired mouse?

Try using the arrow keys to move up and down to select your country (am assuming that's what it is, can't really tell in the pic), then press enter.

(press the tab key to move between options)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mainiac

I know what you describe is the logical way to do it, but in this case the "enter" key does not advance the screen. Tabbing moves the highlighted boxes, but enter doesn't select them.
After "escape" to voice-over explanations and back to setup I got past the country screen, but the next, select a keyboard does the same thing. Choose "United States" but enter doesn't advance and tabbing to the "continue" button doesn't either.
It is a wireless keyboard and mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

I'm just doing this with my new MacBook Pro; if you are in the USA just hit the 'return' key. I am in the UK, but the trackpad worked fine for me and I could select that country before hitting return.

As suggested, you can use the arrow keys to select your country then hit return to select.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
I know what you describe is the logical way to do it, but in this case the "enter" key does not advance the screen. Tabbing moves the highlighted boxes, but enter doesn't select them.
After "escape" to voice-over explanations and back to setup I got past the country screen, but the next, select a keyboard does the same thing. Choose "United States" but enter doesn't advance and tabbing to the "continue" button doesn't either.
It is a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Have you tried calling Apple? When you get something new/refurbished...take advantage of the free Apple phone support. Maybe there's an easy answer/solution they can help you with...or maybe there's a problem requiring a return.

What you're dealing with doesn't sound normal. Unless you accidentally or unfortunately pressed a 2 or 3 key combination on your keyboard...that triggered some of the "Universal Access" functions (functions for folks with hearing, sight, or dexterity challenges).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mainiac

Thanks everyone. I will call Apple. Thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That series of setup screens is supposed to run the first time a Mac is setup or if the hard drive / SSD has been wiped and the OS is being completely installed. Is there an administrator account set up on this machine? If there isn't one present I think that setup routine runs until you create one.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Something is wrong if the Apple Supplied mouse will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Well if its the blue tooth mouse, first make sure its turned on and the batteries are installed. Once it is, it takes a moment for the system to detect there is no attached mouse then it will start searching for blue tooth devices.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory hog | What speakers will work with iMac? »