New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Flashing folder with question mark on my Power Mac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Faisal11

Faisal11 is on a distinguished road

I have Power Mac G5. Whenever it starts, it shows a flashing folder with question mark and a face:

I booted from the CD (Mac 10.4.4), opened Disk utilities, First Aid then tried Verify Disk. It says:
Volume passed verification

I tried Repair Disk. It says:
No repairs necessary

I tried to press the option button during startup but nothing happens. Resetting the PRAM did not help either.
When I connected the hard disk to another MAC, I could see all the data and retrieve them but I don't want to clean install the OSX because I have a very important custom software purchased from a company (this company is closed down).

Is there anyway that I can solve this problem? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

i think you're missing the boot file for macosx. By going via the CD you avoid the hard drive booting normally. The custom software must be a separate app on launch up or not either way you should be able to load another osx to over ride the faulty osx.. Are you able to see the custom file or app when searching the hard drive itself. Alternative to save the hard drive contents to a spare drive or have a small clean hard drive to act as c drive for osx system only with the original as a d drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Faisal11

I already saved the contents to another drive. But I need the original drive to boot up because I need the custom app to work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal11 View Post
Is there anyway that I can solve this problem?
You need to install the OS. Here's some additional info::

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Faisal11

Will imaging the OS to another disk help?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have the proper OS install disk for the OS install version you want/need.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Faisal11

I have it. And as I mentioned, I booted from it and did all the things I said in the first post.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have it. And as I mentioned, I booted from it and did all the things I said in the first post.
You can do two things:

1. Install the OS on the hard drive (you don't need to do a clean install).
2. Install a 2nd hard drive into the G5...install the OS onto the 2nd HD...and boot the computer from the 2nd HD.

Two comments:

1. I sure hope that you have this custom software backed up somewhere. If something should go wrong in the future...the software will be lost.
2. Do you know for sure that this custom software will run with OS 10.4.4?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Faisal11

I would have done what you suggested if I had the custom software source but it was in a CD which my son damaged. It was working on 10.4.4.
Is there a repair option for OSX like the one for Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Is there a repair option for OSX like the one for Windows?
You're options are to reinstall the OS (the 2 options I mentioned above).

If you have the OS 10.4.4 disk that you mentioned booting with...then this should be no problem.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Faisal11

Is that going to wipe out my custom software?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Is that going to wipe out my custom software?
This has been already been answered in post #8.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connect Imac to Macbook as dual monitor | redundancy data »