New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

whats faster - powermac g5 or intel imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

well

what is faster

the intel imac or the powermac g5

both the basic spec.

which one is better valie for money?

thanks chris tm :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Performance-wise, the PowerMac is still faster than the Intel iMac, but I would say that the iMac (G5 or Intel) is better value for money, as you get the whole package with screen, BT and Airport.

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it...
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Performance-wise, the PowerMac is still faster than the Intel iMac, but I would say that the iMac (G5 or Intel) is better value for money, as you get the whole package with screen, BT and Airport.

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it...
i will be using it for - school work, music, dvds, internet, aMSN, google earth, dreamweaver, office etc..

please keep the suggestions coming!

:mac:

thanks,
chris tm
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

you don't need a powermac to do just that. powermacs are more for the professional applications, such as video editing and photo

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

http://www.macspeedzone.com/html/har.../06/1_23.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

and it would depend on what powermac g5 you would have. but yes.. for what you want to do..

BUT there is something you need to keep in mind on this..

UNIVESAL software.. will not be available for at least 6 months or more.. they will run under rosetta.. but will not run natively.. in that case.. so they will run under emulation and may not runn to its full potential. i would get the imac G5..
something else to think about.

My Photo Site.
Other sites:
MySpace
My Blog.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelox714
and it would depend on what powermac g5 you would have. but yes.. for what you want to do..

BUT there is something you need to keep in mind on this..

UNIVESAL software.. will not be available for at least 6 months or more.. they will run under rosetta.. but will not run natively.. in that case.. so they will run under emulation and may not runn to its full potential. i would get the imac G5..
something else to think about.
ok thanks for that, and thanks to all the other sites and replies. keep them coming. cheers chris tm :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Seeing the actual price of the 20" iMac G5 ($1499,-), I would say go for it. It's a lot of value for the money, you get the whole package with a nice 20" screen, 250GB HD, Superdrive, Airport and BT. And everything running natively on it, no Rosetta emulation.
Add about $100,- for 1GB of memory, and you will have a really nice setup that easily fit your needs, and is fast.

And no trouble with Rev.A hardware issues, which Apple (and other companies) seem to be unable to avoid. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Unless you're planning on running super high end pro apps, go with the iMac...overall it's a far better value, and in many cases, faster than the Powermac.

Hard to say that, since I have a dual core Powermac, but it's the truth.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

How would an iMac cope with running Photoshop Elements 3.0? Or do I need a Powermac for this??
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say_Cheese
How would an iMac cope with running Photoshop Elements 3.0? Or do I need a Powermac for this??
It should be fine (will be a tiny bit slower then PPC due to Rosetta). Even with the speed trade off the iMac is worth it.

QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

As said, the G5's are designed with Pro Apps in mind.

If your worried about future proofing, go witht the Intel. Rosetta speeds shouldn't really affect you with what you want the Mac to do.

Steve Jobs has said that their target is to have ALL Macs on Intels by the end of '06...

(but then again... I am biased!!)

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The better value for the money would be the iMac by far.
And something to keep in mind.... "faster" does not always equate to "better".

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
aitebar

Hey guys, i have almost the same question but a lil bit different.

i m learning editing on FCP. so what system do u guys recommend to me.

i divided the scale as BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCE.

So for ADVANCE EDITING WHAT SYSTEM DO U GUYS RECOMMEND? which will even help me in future too.

One more question?

What is the difference between PANTHER 10.3 and TIGER X 10.4. are they the same of different software. is the 10.4 advance from panther 10.3 or something else

NEED HELP GUYS.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

PowerMac is faster, but the iMac is a better deal for the speed you get! However when intel PM come, they better really step it up, because the speed from G5 iMac/PB G4 to MacBook Pro and iMac intel is ALOT!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless on my G5 Powermac (Extreme-X2) | Boot Camp! Apple releases for Win XP! »