New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

upgrading RAM mac mini (mid 2011)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pannix

pannix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

I have a Mac mini (mid 2011): 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 (2x2) GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM.

I want to upgrade RAM: I could buy 2 x 4 GB Kingston 1333MHz RAM, then I would have 8.
Can I also buy 1 x 8 GB Kingston 1333MHz RAM and have 10 GB (original 2 GB + new 8 GB) RAM? If the type DDR3 and Clockspeed 1333 MHz match is that sufficient? Or is that not recommended? If so, why not?

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's not just a matter of matching the Clockspeed and ensuring that it's DDR3 that matters, but there are other characteristics of the RAM that matter as well.

We strongly recommend sticking with vendors like OWC, Crucial or Micron that have a nice selection option to show you exactly what will work with your Mac Mini..

OWC, for example, has the following offering for your Mac Mini..

You could purchase just the single 8GB stick from them and use an existing 2GB to get a 10GB total.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pannix

Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1

and Kingston is not good? The webshop in my country doesn't offer OWC and I am not going to order it from across the Atlantic. It does have Crucial, but they haven't got as many favorable reviews as Kingston.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Kingston is fine too, what I would suggest that is you look at all the specs of the compatible RAM from OWC/Crucial/Micron and then match it up as much as you can for the Kingston..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pannix

Ooops. According to Apple's specs for Mac mini 2011, it will only accept modules of 1, 2 or 4 GB. So I will have to buy 2 x 4 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Apple always seem to indicate that a particular Mac supports less RAM that it really does, EveryMac suggests that you can actually go up to 16GB with 8GBx2, so your plan to get a single 8GB should be fine as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Worried sound in iMac | New 27 imac screen color? »