Solid state drive
    Hi All, new here and have just upgraded my studio to Pro Tools. I have a 3.2 GHZ 12 GB memory Mac Pro Quad system with 1 TB drive. I have been looking at solid state drives.

My question is would it be best to upgrade to solid state and move all my applications and operating system to that and record on the current 1 TB drive or use the SSD to record to keeping the apps on the current drive?

Sorry if this seems a simple question but I have been using a different DAW system for 10 years and just trying to make sure I maximize the power of the system. Thanks!

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    I have a 240gb OWC SSD in my Mac Pro, and only use it for the home location, as well as the main apps. All the rest of the data, like documents, iTunes media, and photos, go to the second hdd.
    I like to have speed when accessing the main OSX apps, but for everything else, speed is not a huge priority for me because I use them rarely once saved. I'm not sure if you will notice a difference in speed as you record, but accessing the recording will be faster. I would probably want the recording to be accessed as quickly as possible. You could move OSX to the SSD, keep the recordings on the SSD, and move the other apps and libraries to the HDD if they are not as important.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thread Information