New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Solid state drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

windfall1

windfall1 is on a distinguished road

Hi All, new here and have just upgraded my studio to Pro Tools. I have a 3.2 GHZ 12 GB memory Mac Pro Quad system with 1 TB drive. I have been looking at solid state drives.

My question is would it be best to upgrade to solid state and move all my applications and operating system to that and record on the current 1 TB drive or use the SSD to record to keeping the apps on the current drive?

Sorry if this seems a simple question but I have been using a different DAW system for 10 years and just trying to make sure I maximize the power of the system. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I have a 240gb OWC SSD in my Mac Pro, and only use it for the home location, as well as the main apps. All the rest of the data, like documents, iTunes media, and photos, go to the second hdd.
I like to have speed when accessing the main OSX apps, but for everything else, speed is not a huge priority for me because I use them rarely once saved. I'm not sure if you will notice a difference in speed as you record, but accessing the recording will be faster. I would probably want the recording to be accessed as quickly as possible. You could move OSX to the SSD, keep the recordings on the SSD, and move the other apps and libraries to the HDD if they are not as important.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a NEWER/Older Mac that supports OS9 | Activity Monitor shows less RAM - ECC errors »