New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - New Mac User - Several Newbie Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xbrian87

So I finally brought myself to buy a Macintosh. I went out and picked up a Intel (Duo) 17" iMac with Applecare; so far I'm definately digging it.

I do have a few questions, however, that weren't found when I did searches on the forums:

1. I left my PC on 24/7 (restarting or shutting down for a few hours every 2-3 days), is that okay for the Mac or is it just better to shut it down at night?

2. My computer came with 512mb RAM, I just bought another 1gb stick from Crucial.com; will this extra 1gb really make a noticeable difference (because right now I'm seeing mediocre performance in World of Warcraft and multi-tasking on the desktop)?

3. As far as Peer-to-Peer goes, what do you guys use? If P2P talk is prohibited on this forum, disregard this question.

That's it! Other than those 3 little questions, I'm totally loving this new computer and I really dont see why anyone uses PCs anymore (other than compatibility issues)

-Brian
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

1. You can leave your mac on as long as you feel like
2. 512 to 1.25gb is a huge increase. 512 really isn't enough for a system imo, especially if you are trying WoW
3. I don't use P2P but LimeWire/Poisoned/Acquisition are the 3 I see most of the time

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
1. I left my PC on 24/7 (restarting or shutting down for a few hours every 2-3 days), is that okay for the Mac or is it just better to shut it down at night?
It is fine to leave it on.

Quote:
. My computer came with 512mb RAM, I just bought another 1gb stick from Crucial.com; will this extra 1gb really make a noticeable difference (because right now I'm seeing mediocre performance in World of Warcraft and multi-tasking on the desktop)?
Simple answer. More ram, faster computer.

Quote:
3. As far as Peer-to-Peer goes, what do you guys use? If P2P talk is prohibited on this forum, disregard this question.
i dont use peer to peer

Hope you love the new computer. and welcome to the forum

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
xbrian87

Thanks, guys!

I got overnight shipping on that RAM, should be processed tomorrow and recieved in 2 days (I just ordered it tonight).

I'll be reading a lot on these forums, as a new Mac user, I can sure use any helpful hints and tips I can get my $1,299-in-debt hands on
QUOTE Thanks
xbrian87

One more question:

4. Is it necessary or even possible to defragment an Apple's hard drive(s)?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Nope. Apples file system is completely different then Windows NTFS/FAT32 so defragging is unnecessary

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

It's not really unnecessary. It's just that OS X automatically defrags files smaller than 20mb (or 40, I can't remember what it was). But, yes, you don't have to do any defragmentation manually.

Regarding P2P, I would recommend Limewire. It finds by far the most files (especially if you're like me, and you're mostly after the legal files and not music/movies) and it's actually quite user-friendly, even though it's far from being a native OS X application.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX 10.3 and Wireless USB suddenly stopped working | iMac G5 (iSight) Bootup »