Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   New Mac User - Several Newbie Questions (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/30228-new-mac-user-several-newbie-questions.html)

xbrian87 02-06-2006 08:27 PM

New Mac User - Several Newbie Questions

So I finally brought myself to buy a Macintosh. I went out and picked up a Intel (Duo) 17" iMac with Applecare; so far I'm definately digging it.

I do have a few questions, however, that weren't found when I did searches on the forums:

1. I left my PC on 24/7 (restarting or shutting down for a few hours every 2-3 days), is that okay for the Mac or is it just better to shut it down at night?

2. My computer came with 512mb RAM, I just bought another 1gb stick from Crucial.com; will this extra 1gb really make a noticeable difference (because right now I'm seeing mediocre performance in World of Warcraft and multi-tasking on the desktop)?

3. As far as Peer-to-Peer goes, what do you guys use? If P2P talk is prohibited on this forum, disregard this question.

That's it! Other than those 3 little questions, I'm totally loving this new computer and I really dont see why anyone uses PCs anymore (other than compatibility issues) :)

-Brian

trpnmonkey41 02-06-2006 08:33 PM

1. You can leave your mac on as long as you feel like
2. 512 to 1.25gb is a huge increase. 512 really isn't enough for a system imo, especially if you are trying WoW
3. I don't use P2P but LimeWire/Poisoned/Acquisition are the 3 I see most of the time

EDIT-XTREEM 02-06-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

1. I left my PC on 24/7 (restarting or shutting down for a few hours every 2-3 days), is that okay for the Mac or is it just better to shut it down at night?
It is fine to leave it on.

Quote:

. My computer came with 512mb RAM, I just bought another 1gb stick from Crucial.com; will this extra 1gb really make a noticeable difference (because right now I'm seeing mediocre performance in World of Warcraft and multi-tasking on the desktop)?
Simple answer. More ram, faster computer.

Quote:

3. As far as Peer-to-Peer goes, what do you guys use? If P2P talk is prohibited on this forum, disregard this question.
i dont use peer to peer

Hope you love the new computer. and welcome to the forum

xbrian87 02-06-2006 08:36 PM

Thanks, guys!

I got overnight shipping on that RAM, should be processed tomorrow and recieved in 2 days (I just ordered it tonight).

I'll be reading a lot on these forums, as a new Mac user, I can sure use any helpful hints and tips I can get my $1,299-in-debt hands on :P

xbrian87 02-06-2006 11:38 PM

One more question:

4. Is it necessary or even possible to defragment an Apple's hard drive(s)?

trpnmonkey41 02-06-2006 11:41 PM

Nope. Apples file system is completely different then Windows NTFS/FAT32 so defragging is unnecessary

Tiranis 02-07-2006 05:50 AM

It's not really unnecessary. It's just that OS X automatically defrags files smaller than 20mb (or 40, I can't remember what it was). But, yes, you don't have to do any defragmentation manually.

Regarding P2P, I would recommend Limewire. It finds by far the most files (especially if you're like me, and you're mostly after the legal files and not music/movies) and it's actually quite user-friendly, even though it's far from being a native OS X application.