New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Replacing 2007 iMac Hardrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nmosier

nmosier is on a distinguished road

Hello. The hardrive failed on beloved 2007 iMac. About a week before it failed the top of the aluminum casing kept getting very hot. I'm thinking this was caused by the failing hardrive- but should I consider replacing any fans or anything else while I am inside of there? Any ideas would be helpful.

I've got my video tutorial from ifixit and instructions and my tools from OWC...I'm ready to go!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmosier View Post
I'm thinking this was caused by the failing hardrive- but should I consider replacing any fans or anything else while I am inside of there? Any ideas would be helpful.
Probably not. But you won't know until you open things up. If the fan(s) are currently working & not making a lot of noise...then they're probably fine.

FYI...replacing parts like fans is not a simple matter with Apple computers. In the sense that these are not "off the shelf" parts. If these parts need to be replaced...you need to plan wayyyy ahead of time...and start looking for them.

But like I said...if the fans are currently working & not noisy (by noisy I mean loud mechanical noises...bad bearings...not loud noise from the fans running at high rpm).

It's also possible that your iMac us very very dirty inside...and needs to be cleaned.

Blocked fans = less cooling air = hot iMac.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If you have the expertise go for it but cracking an iMac is not a task for beginners. Whilst in there use a very fine paint brush and remove any dust. Canned compressed air will also help.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nmosier

nmosier is on a distinguished road

I took it on and was successful! Wasn't actually that hard. I was hoping the heat issue would be taken care of after I cleaned everything out inside- but that doesn't seem to be the case. After just a couple hours of use the top and back casing get very hot. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Download iStatPro and advise what the heat comes in at.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb.../istatpro.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Also with what Harry mentioned with iStatPro...take note of the fan rpm's. The rpm's should be pretty high (4000-6000rpm) when the computer is getting hot. If the rpm's are very low...then the fan may not be operating properly.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

To give some idea of temperatures on a 2012 iMac 2.7Ghz. Winter Down under, Ambient 17C and all settings are less than 30C. Fans running 1100-1398rpm.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
To give some idea of temperatures on a 2012 iMac 2.7Ghz. Winter Down under, Ambient 17C and all settings are less than 30C. Fans running 1100-1398rpm.
Great info Harry...thanks for posting!

- Nick

p.s. BTW...ambient temp. of 17C...that's only 62.6F! Sell some of that Apple stock...and turn up the heat! Brrrr.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm surprised that nobody else has pointed out that the top back of an iMac is *supposed* to get hot -- that is where the heat is being vented!

This is all perfectly normal and routine operation for the iMac, which uses convection cooling to keep the fan noise at a minimum.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

My home office is air conditioned.... but right now my 2011 iMac is showing a CPU temperature of 42 degrees Celsius and CPU fan RPM of 1198. Outside air temperature is currently 92 degrees F. with an expected afternoon high of close to 100 degrees. (Typical for this time of year here in Texas.)

But chas is right about how an iMac dispels heat. Cooler air is drawn in through the bottom vents and warmer air expelled out the top vents. Very efficient. And by the way, an iMac has three fans.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 3.06 core duo 24" a good buy? | Startup Chimes, Booting Normally, No Display (Black Screen) »