New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

IMac hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micino60 View Post
Well,

don't forget that my IMac doesn't go up any more because there's no way to make the HD working.
:-)
LMAO That's my first Homer Simpson moment of the day. I had indeed forgotten that when I posted.

If I remember correctly that option is available even when booted from the 10.5 or 10.6 CD/DVD. In those versions I think the report is referred to as a System Profile but you get to it the same way.

If you can't get it post back and I will see if I can find my boot cd and duplicate the steps.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Purchase the exact same HD... (likely Hitachi for that model) and the sensor will not be an issue. I would check OWC for exact specifics.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

micino60 is on a distinguished road

For anybody living in USA, who do you think could sell the exact drive that I need?

May I put in a 500GB rather than 250GB or am I going to make a big mess??

Amazon also sells this drives but what if it's no the right one??

Tks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since yours is a 20" I still feel that is not a model with a special drive. Nicks URL shows a 21.5" as the first one to have the internal sensor.

If that be the case get any 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" drive. I go to New Egg, Amazon and read the reviews and comments on the drive I want to be sure it's not a problem drive. A WD or Seagate will work fine.

If you truly DID have a LATE 2009 21.5" then I would agree to get the exact drive.

The I video I posted in this tread is the last 20" iMac from 2009 and the heat sensor is external. If you are sure it's a 20" just get any good WD or Seagate with the specs I posted above.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

@DTravis7

Tks. My only concern is the size: 250 or more? And, if more, how much more without making mess?

I think that also Best Buy should have it. I'd prefer buying it from amazon or new egg; the problem is to send it back if it didn't work PLUS the shipping method that they have with NO bubbles around the HD.
What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Oh ok. My late 2007 has a 1TB and will take much higher as will your machine, so go for broke if you want. I went with a 1TB WD Black from New Egg.

But like I said above, check the reviews and be sure it's a reliable drive.

You can check Best Buy, just read the reviews first online on what you want then you can buy it at Best Buy.

Also just a note, I had a WD Raptor fail once after a couple of years. WD looked at the date on my receipt, sent me a box, paid for shipping both ways and within 1 week or so I had a brand new WD Raptor without one cent out of my pocket. That impressed me a lot and I have been getting WD ever since.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

I still haven't open the "monster" but looking ad IFix.com it seems that the HD has a thermal sensor.
Do you think that the new ones already have this sensor?
Tks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The 20" thermal sensor like all older Intel iMacs has the sensor attached to the outside of the drive. You peal it off carefully with it's bracket and put it on the new drive along with a rubber spacer at the top. You just peal them off the old drive and put them on the new one.

Is iFixit saying the 20" has an internal sensor in the drive? Every tutorial I have seen on the 20" says what I said above.

What is the URL of the iFixit article you are reading?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Turn your iMac with the bottom of the Stand upward. There should be a label there. Look for EMC Number and post it please.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

this is the link: How To: Intel iMac Hard Drive Replacement - YouTube

I thought that the HD had the sensor. Now it's ok to me.

Tks very much. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

To me that OWC one I posted earlier is an excellent video.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If you get that EMC number from the stand we can be 100% sure.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

Emc 2210
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Yes! That is the machine I thought it was. Go for it but the iFixit video does not show her removing the T6 Torx from the Video plug. That is why I like the OWC one more. It shows every step.

Keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
micino60

Ciao all.

I've just solved, thank to your hints, the problem of the HD on my IMac 20" and here I've a problem with my MBP battery swelling. My touch pad was working very badly and, coincidentally, after taking away the battery, it started working properly again. After looking on Internet about the problem I figured out that it was the battery swelling.
Well, not so bad also because I can easily buy a new battery.
Its cost is, at Apple store, $129.00 + Taxes.

Does anybody know if there is an on-line place where I can find an equivalent?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Mac Mini | Fusion or 768GB SSD? »