New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Help Me Get Psyched For My New iMac!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Ok, so I ordered a new fully loaded Intel iMac that should be delivered on Thursday. Naturally, I'm very excited! I've been reading up on all kinds of iMac history and reviews and basically anything having to do with any iMac. The thing is, I've found discussion forums to be a pretty bad place to help me get excited. It seems like mostly negative things. I know we tend not to hear about all the machines that work wonderfully as often as we hear about the few that don't, but still, I want to be super-psyched-out when my iMac gets here.

So please, any type of hype is welcome (any iMac stories, pictures, musings, etc...)

Thanks!

(sorry if this isn't particularly a productive thread, but I'm just really really excited)
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Congrats on your system

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
merkhet

 
Member Since: Dec 25, 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 23
merkhet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: SR MBP 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM running a 30" ADC

merkhet is offline
I have a Dual Core 2.0Ghz iMac and I love it.

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here." ~ Firefly
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoingoBongo
Ok, so I ordered a new fully loaded Intel iMac that should be delivered on Thursday. Naturally, I'm very excited! I've been reading up on all kinds of iMac history and reviews and basically anything having to do with any iMac. The thing is, I've found discussion forums to be a pretty bad place to help me get excited. It seems like mostly negative things. I know we tend not to hear about all the machines that work wonderfully as often as we hear about the few that don't, but still, I want to be super-psyched-out when my iMac gets here.

So please, any type of hype is welcome (any iMac stories, pictures, musings, etc...)

Thanks!

(sorry if this isn't particularly a productive thread, but I'm just really really excited)
The negative reviews are mostly because we're all jealous that we don't have one
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

That's what I'm hoping. At first I almost went with a G5, but decided to try and be on the cutting edge for once. It'll be exciting to see what updates and stuff they come out with.

I love hearing positive things about the new iMacs! The last one I used was one of the iMac DVs about 4 or 5 years ago (and I really liked that one).
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoingoBongo
That's what I'm hoping. At first I almost went with a G5, but decided to try and be on the cutting edge for once. It'll be exciting to see what updates and stuff they come out with.

I love hearing positive things about the new iMacs! The last one I used was one of the iMac DVs about 4 or 5 years ago (and I really liked that one).
I'm sure you're going to love it! I am planning on getting a fully loaded iMac 20" later this year as well (my Cube and Gateway laptop need some upgrades first tho!). The floor models I played with at the local Apple Store were incredibly quick.
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Well, it ended up getting delivered today (one day early)! I can't believe there can be a computer this beautiful and amazing.



It doesn't even feel like I'm looking at a screen, it feels like I'm looking out some awesome window. It's so fluid and snappy and easy. I would write more, but quite honestly, I'm speechless.
QUOTE Thanks
tilly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

wow, now i really cant wait to get one, thats the same one as im gonna get!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

It's absolutely amazing. The pictures don't do it any kind of justice.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

 
ByzantineRemnant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 15, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 614
ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

ByzantineRemnant is offline
Can you give me some insight to why you purchased the intel iMac instead of the iMac G5, other than being on the cutting edge? Was price a factor for you?
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredfield
Can you give me some insight to why you purchased the intel iMac instead of the iMac G5, other than being on the cutting edge? Was price a factor for you?
It was a hard decision, actually. The G5 machines are tried and true, and that really made me feel comfortable. I'm usually not concerned with being on the cutting edge of things. A good computer is a good computer no matter what. I just decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money ($2,300 after tax w/ AppleCare), I didn't want to buy something that was outdated before I even opened the box, you know?

I was a little worried about the lack of universal programs out now. I use a lot grahpic design and editing programs. I just figured I don't mind waiting a little while, and by the time I saved up more money for the programs, many of the universal versions will probably be available.

Price wasn't really a factor because the two were priced equally (although I know the 20" G5 came down $200 yesterday). Some of the upgrades for the G5 were actually more expensive, so if anything, the Core Duo seemed like a better value. I had to save for a long time to afford this, and I wanted to get something great, and I really think that I did.

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2006
Posts: 1,868
kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

kaidomac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoingoBongo
It was a hard decision, actually. The G5 machines are tried and true, and that really made me feel comfortable. I'm usually not concerned with being on the cutting edge of things. A good computer is a good computer no matter what. I just decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money ($2,300 after tax w/ AppleCare), I didn't want to buy something that was outdated before I even opened the box, you know?

I was a little worried about the lack of universal programs out now. I use a lot grahpic design and editing programs. I just figured I don't mind waiting a little while, and by the time I saved up more money for the programs, many of the universal versions will probably be available.

Price wasn't really a factor because the two were priced equally (although I know the 20" G5 came down $200 yesterday). Some of the upgrades for the G5 were actually more expensive, so if anything, the Core Duo seemed like a better value. I had to save for a long time to afford this, and I wanted to get something great, and I really think that I did.

Yup, we're all jealous Congrats on your new Mac! My Cube is getting a ram upgrade this week, so I'll just have to console myself with that for now
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Although I've never owned one, I've always thought the cubes were really cool!
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

 
cjay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 04, 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 696
cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

cjay is offline
**** it bongo you are doing my credit card no favors! I'm going to the applestore now...
QUOTE Thanks
BoingoBongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hehe, sorry.

It's not 100% perfect though. Today I noticed a DEAD PIXEL!! No!!!!



It's right near the center of the top third of the screen. It's really only slightly annoying, but I'm kind of upset because I spent so much money that I think this should be 100% perfect. I love it so much, that this really tears me up! I'm not sure what to do about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 Won't power up. Help! | Found the *perfect* putty knife for opening a Mini »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iMac G5! Apathy Apple Desktops 12 02-12-2008 07:19 PM
Apple Pulls Plug on Original iMac schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 7 09-13-2006 04:38 PM
Is it worth to switch from iMac G4 to iMac G5?? Mainyehc Apple Desktops 12 03-13-2006 06:21 PM
Swap a PowerMac for an iMac? Smileyguy Apple Desktops 4 12-27-2005 11:17 AM
The Return of an Apple Cube... as an iMac? [Updated] Murlyn Apple Desktops 10 11-13-2003 10:50 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?