New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Abrodzinski
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Alrighty after typing a lengthy post and accidently middle clicking my tab i'm going to try this again!! :eek:

Ok I am a graphics design student wanting to switch over to the mac side. I need to buy a workstation by this fall but i'd like to switch asap. but with the intel chips on the fringe should I wait to see a price drop? if so how much do they usually drop?

I am looking at either:

G5 dual core 2.0ghz
1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
23" cinema display

or an apple refurb G5 dual 2.7ghz
512mb ram
250gb drive
23" cinema display

both totaling around $2200 for the tower and $3300 with the display (no discount on refurbs

Should I wait and see if the Quadcore will drop to 2300-2500 (with discount)??.

I really dont want to wait untill the end of summer but if it means nearly cutting my time in half for rendering and encoding then I will wait. (though I do 95% photoshop / illustrator)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Well since most pro apps aren't even available as Universal binaries yet (Photoshop doesn't even have a shipping date), I'd say go with a PowerPC machine if you need to really use it this year...
Even when the apps do start shipping, quite a few things might be slightly wonky in the first year of the transition, whilst the PowerPC stuff just works beautifully now.
QUOTE Thanks
Abrodzinski
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

cool thats what I was thinking, plus I didn't want to pay for the pro upgrades lol

So should I get the refurb now before its gone or hold out for the quadcore and hope it drops to 2300-2500 (with discount)??? I am new in the mac world so I don't have an idea of how they lower their prices at all.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

 
PunkRockTuba's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 27, 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 975
PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

PunkRockTuba is offline
That refurb machine sounds like a monster, and I would say go for it but I dont know how apple discounts things. Somebody else on here should know, I havent been in the mac world long enough to know how they work. I will say that if you get that refurb you should put a gig of ram or more in it as well. For a monster like that to only have 512mb of ram would be a shame, but I also know how money works and that might not be possible right of the bat.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Apple's prices tend to be fairly steady...
Whenever they release a new product, the old ones are sold off in the refurb section, but the price reduction isn't huge...
The only reason I see for considering the quad over the 2,7 is the PCI-express ports in the quad vs. the PCI-X ports the 2,7 has. (PCI-X was only used by apple,)
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
If you need it for the fall, hen I'd wait until Auust to pick something. Not only will the Pro apps hopefully be Intel-native by then, but if you decide to stick with PowerPC, the prices on those machines will go down even more. Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to get a Quad for the price range you're looking at.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

 
johninc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2004
Location: Albany, CA
Posts: 643
johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

johninc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrodzinski

G5 dual core 2.0ghz
1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
23" cinema display
I know a guy who teaches a broadcasting class and uses five of these and there great. I'd say only wait for the Intels if you want to pay less.
QUOTE Thanks
Abrodzinski
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon

After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

TTheInfamous1 is offline
Go for this one. And if you do decide to wait for the intel version... You may want to wait for Version 2 of the Intel machines. Just my opinion.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,075
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrodzinski
Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon

After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/
No PCI-X isn't compatible with PCI express.
But most cards aren't mac compatible (yet) anyway, since apple just introduced PCI-express on the powermacs.
There are a number of PCI-X cards for the powermacs though...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Anyone get a 1.5ghz Mini with a modem? | Can no longer view network all of a sudden »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Intel Macintosh (MacTel) FAQ. Meyvn Switcher Hangout 8 11-21-2005 01:23 AM
Interesting read - Intel rman Apple Rumors and Reports 9 08-24-2005 01:57 PM
What will the Intel chips bring to Macs? J-Money Apple Rumors and Reports 10 07-29-2005 11:29 AM
Buy now or wait for Intel? aantoine90 Schweb's Lounge 15 06-28-2005 03:09 AM
Intel to delay my switch? yogi Switcher Hangout 15 06-18-2005 08:47 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?