New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Many questions from xperienced Windows user just got a Mac :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fedorov

Hi all (1st post),

Brief intro before I ask all you mac guru's a lot of simple questions if you don't mind...

Been wanting to get a media centre PC in my living room so I could watch divx/xvid epsidoes of my fave programs on my nice big 42" plasma tv, having looked around for months I just cannot justify the money needed to get something reasonable in a SMALL/QUIET box.

Figured the lovely Mac Mini (superdrive) model could do all that I wanted so I went out yesterday and bought one!!! I am very very pleased with it so far, configuration was easy, on the internet with my PC's wifi router in minutes, I installed VLC Media Player and can already play all movie formats I need, stream radio via iTunes and surf the net, love the interface already, not read any manuals, I'm a tecchy who just loves to work all this stuff out, so far no problems.

Questions please...

1) I'm behind a NAT router, currently use the excellent OutPost firewall on my PC, do I need a firewall on the mac? How do I control what programs are connected outbound etc??? Recommendations?

2) I'll be using my PC for emails, just pure surfing on the mac, again do I need an Anti-Virus? Recommendations please, no Symantec tho!

3) Do I need to defrag the drive at all on the mac? If so, again please recommend a good tool for this, I know nothing about the mac tools compared to knowing almost every PC tool around!

4) I'm using the bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse, if I click the bluetooth icon on the desktop and turn "discoverable" to OFF will I lose my keyboard/mouse connection - for security I want it off.

5) I use Mozilla Firefox on my PC with lots of excellent extensions, I presume I can install the mac version of Firefox and will all my .xpi extensions just work the same?

6) Does the mac use a dreaded Registry like WindowsXP or is everything in nice prefs files (I suspect)?

7) I tweak every inch of my WindowsXP to get the best performance out of it, would I benefit at all with my mac mini if I was to partition the drive or change the size of the paging file or anything? Any good tweaks that help squeeze a bit more out of it?

Thanks all, I've probably got a lot more questions the more I use it, these are the ones I can think of for now

Regards,

Fedorov.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

1) OS X has a built in firewall that you can turn on, since you are already behind a router that should be enough.

2) No, don't bother.

3) No

5) Yes

6) No registry.

7) No clue
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

4) no, I'm using kb/mouse right now
QUOTE Thanks
Fedorov

Thanks all, using Firefox right now, only thing I miss is my scrollwheel and right mouse button
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov
Thanks all, using Firefox right now, only thing I miss is my scrollwheel and right mouse button

Get a mighty mouse, Where did you get a one-button Apple mouse? I didn't think Apple stores sold them anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
Fedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Get a mighty mouse, Where did you get a one-button Apple mouse? I didn't think Apple stores sold them anymore.
I got the bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse as this is for the living room so sat quite a distance away from the mac mini hardware. They don't do a wireless mighty mouse yet do they?
When they do I'll be first in the queue!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Like mynameis said, either get an Apple Mighty Mouse or use any 3 button PC Scroll Mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

Logitech and Microsoft have some great wireless mice that work fabulously. I can't imagine a computer without right click. I'm an Apple fan, but that doesn't mean i can't diversify

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Don't forget to add Front Row to your Mini! Front Row is a basic media center frontend for Macs; it lets you watch DVDs, movies, and photos as well as listen to music. I'm running it on my G4 Cube with excellent results. Info here:

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive.../10/front-row/

You can also pick up a nice remote from Griffin (AirclickUSB). If you're a big hardware guy, check out my Mac Mini tutorial (I come from a primarly Windows/PC hardware background):

http://mini.wiredby.com
QUOTE Thanks
Fedorov

Thanks for the info and nice article btw!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac G3 uprade help needed!!!! | Automation of test cases »