New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Do you partition your internal Sata drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rocker4301

Rocker4301 is on a distinguished road

I'm about to start running Protools 10HDX on my new 12 core Mac Pro. I got 2 extra 1TB Sata drives installed to use for session drives. Should I partition them or not? I know for years we always did on the old G5s but not sure with the new Intels.
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Yes, if they are new drives that you installed yourself then go ahead and partition them, otherwise the Mac might not have read/write access to them. I'm not sure how you did it on the PPC machines but on Intels, open up Disk Utility and select your new drives.

Click on the partition tab.
Under "partition layout" select 1 partition (unless for some reason you want more than one on each drive)
Name the drive whatever you want.
Under format, select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" <- this is important
Click on options and make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected then click ok.

Click apply and it will begin the partitioning process.

If they are drives that you had Apple install for you then they are probably good to go as is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« convincing family about mac | Stupid ?????'s »